Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 12, 16, 3:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: skitch23
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of the previous discussion located here.

See post #412 - Ordering gc's thru the Kroger site will post fuel points to the associated shopper card upon shipment of physical cards and email delivery for e-gc's. Points are earned in the same increments as if you bought them at the store (usually 2x or 4x if there is a promotion). Transactions are processed by GiftCardMall and therefore do not earn additional points/cb from your credit card issuer for a "supermarket purchase".
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 16, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)

Anyone know of any store that would allow vgc to be purchased with their gift cards?

This would cut the cost in 1/4 for fuel points.

Example:
Buy $200 Target GC at Kroger (400pts)
Go to Target and get $200 VGC for the same price as 1x100 VGC at Kroger.

Apparently a lot of places used to allow this....but all I can find is reports a few years old...any places still allow VGC buy with their own store GC?
Old Jan 3, 16, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by air360 View Post
Anyone know of any store that would allow vgc to be purchased with their gift cards?

This would cut the cost in 1/4 for fuel points.

Example:
Buy $200 Target GC at Kroger (400pts)
Go to Target and get $200 VGC for the same price as 1x100 VGC at Kroger.

Apparently a lot of places used to allow this....but all I can find is reports a few years old...any places still allow VGC buy with their own store GC?
I think Best Buy did (does?). But BB only has $100-200 VGC, and only some stores. My local BB only has BB and iTunes gift cards.

Sears used to, but from what I read recently, that might have ended.
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I think Best Buy did (does?). But BB only has $100-200 VGC, and only some stores. My local BB only has BB and iTunes gift cards.

Sears used to, but from what I read recently, that might have ended.
Yea my local BB doesn't carry VGC. Even if there was only 200's it would be worth it. Retail GC at Kroger give 2x whereas VGC of any denom only give 1x.

So a single 200 BB would give 400 points whereas the 100 VGC only 100.

Same fee cost...4x the points.

Hopefully somewhere else besides BB. I wondered about Bed bath beyond but I couldn't even find regularly store gift cards in my local BBB lol
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:34 am

For me, the extra trip isn't worth the gas points.
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
For me, the extra trip isn't worth the gas points.
It is for me...for roughly 12 bucks (2 fees) to get 35 off of gas...so save $23 for making a quick stop into one other store whenever I have time...actually we fill up twice per month...so really I would be saving $46. Totally worth it.

(The other few hundred points are made via normal shopping or an Amazon GC whenever needed)
Old Jan 3, 16, 12:43 pm

I got a different receipt from Kroger today. On the Activation Status receipt it says "00 APPROVED WITHIN 24HR" instead of the usual "APPROVED". Card balances are at 0 instead of the amount loaded.

I tried calling in but the system recommends calling later due to the long hold time. I will call back but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this (I assume someone has due to the long call time). I assume a network is down somewhere or they are waiting on the transactions to clear my card (which would be odd for them since it has never happened before).

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:33 pm

For anyone else that has this problem
After 40 mins on hold they said cards were not activated and needed to fax in some info. 1 of my cards was activated and the others were not. Since my receipt says within 24 hours I will waiting before I fax in the info and I will post an update on it
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:44 pm

My first attempt at MS was at Kroger about 3-4 weeks ago. I bought 1 $500 VGC with no problem. A week later I tried to buy 4 $500 VGC and was declined. The cashier politely asked if I wanted to split the order, which I did. It allowed two seperate transactions of 2 $500 VGC's to go through (all of the previous purchases were with the CSP). I went yesterday and tried to buy another 4 $500 VGC's, and went to the cashier with two seperate orders. The first transaction went through for the first 2 $500 VGC's. My second transaction said "not authorized" on the screen. I had her try to just ring up one of the $500 VGC's, and it said the same thing. This was with my Southwest Premier Personal card. I went back today and took another 4 $500 VGC's to the customer service desk. I had her ring up the first 2 cards on my SW Premier card and it again said "not authorized." So, I then had her ring up the 2 with my SW Plus card and it let it go through, but it again said "not authorized" when I tried for the second transaction.
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jlange311 View Post
My first attempt at MS was at Kroger about 3-4 weeks ago. I bought 1 $500 VGC with no problem. A week later I tried to buy 4 $500 VGC and was declined. The cashier politely asked if I wanted to split the order, which I did. It allowed two seperate transactions of 2 $500 VGC's to go through (all of the previous purchases were with the CSP). I went yesterday and tried to buy another 4 $500 VGC's, and went to the cashier with two seperate orders. The first transaction went through for the first 2 $500 VGC's. My second transaction said "not authorized" on the screen. I had her try to just ring up one of the $500 VGC's, and it said the same thing. This was with my Southwest Premier Personal card. I went back today and took another 4 $500 VGC's to the customer service desk. I had her ring up the first 2 cards on my SW Premier card and it again said "not authorized." So, I then had her ring up the 2 with my SW Plus card and it let it go through, but it again said "not authorized" when I tried for the second transaction.
Credit card issuers usually don't approve back-to-back transactions for the same amount. Next time try using two different cards to pay (same card issuer is usually ok).
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler View Post
I got a different receipt from Kroger today. On the Activation Status receipt it says "00 APPROVED WITHIN 24HR" instead of the usual "APPROVED". Card balances are at 0 instead of the amount loaded.

I tried calling in but the system recommends calling later due to the long hold time. I will call back but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this (I assume someone has due to the long call time). I assume a network is down somewhere or they are waiting on the transactions to clear my card (which would be odd for them since it has never happened before).

Thanks
Sunday is the favorite time for IT companies to do updates/maintenance. While I do not have personal experience with Kroger, I would not even bother posting here if I got a "to be activated within 24 hours" message. Let alone call the gc company.
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Credit card issuers usually don't approve back-to-back transactions for the same amount. Next time try using two different cards to pay (same card issuer is usually ok).
My first attempt yesterday were two different transaction amounts. I was also grocery shopping so I just split my items into two different transactions.
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jlange311 View Post
ugh. hope you're nowhere near where i ms.

just a thought... how about doing some reading before heading out to do 4x500 and then splitting in response for that (predictably) not working. even if that csr is cool with helping you fumble along not knowing what you're doing, if someone else notices, you're a big red flag.

further, you're a big red flag to chase if you keep doing back to back.
read.
learn.
THEN go out and take it slow to start.
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:39 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 16 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:41 pm

Had some loading issues at Kate with US cards as well. So very likely the system is not stable or undergoing maintenance
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:50 pm

speaking of big red flags...

my #1 easy kroger nearest where i stay when i'm in hell (TX) got blown up by a true idiot.

he would bring 2-3 family members to avoid AML paperwork in the most obvious way possible: 3-4 people each getting $2999.99 in MO. they would even open newly purchased VGC's while waiting in line. the bookkeeper noticed the other day and, bam, done.

and now.... all csr's must be shown the card being used to buy MO's and no more split transactions. i know everyone there (well enough that they told me the story) and they will get fired if they take VGC's now.

well done, moron.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: