FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Medicos out there? Do I need 2 lots of Hepatitis A+B shots?
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:34 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Any Medicos out there? Do I need 2 lots of Hepatitis A+B shots?

A weird thread even for me, and I appreciate any advice offered is: "not to be relied on as being a consultation and other necessary disclaimers" etc, etc.

I travel a lot to some pretty off-beat and unusual places, where hygiene standards are not the same as most first world countries. And have done so for 30 years.

A couple of weeks ago I was staying at a tiny native village 10 kms up a deeply rutted mud track on the side of a mountain. The last 4km by foot in pitch darkness. In the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. Accessible by 4WD only. No power at all. No running water. No shower. No sanitation. No phones. No internet. No TV. No Flyertalk. No food or booze other than what you bought along. "Challenging" shall we say.

Those and other small places in Africa, Asia and South and Central America etc means you need to be right up with inoculations. Due to a change in doctor, I do not have records from years back, but I am quite certain I have had one or more courses of Hepatitis A+B jabs over the years, along with all the other stuff. Yellow Fever, typhoid, cholera, Malaria etc, etc.

Current doctor suggested I have another course "just to be sure". Had one shot a month back. Wants to give me another now, and another booster in a few months. First jab was something called "Twinrix" 1mm dose. Not sure if that brand is sold outside oz.

Firstly it is VERY expensive - here at least. Secondly my arm REALLY hurt after his jab!

My sister is a nursing sister and told me (afterwards!) I simply did not need the initial one, and certainly did not need the others as any initial courses would have protected me for life.

Is anyone here up to speed with this kind of info?

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!