FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:23 pm
Longboater

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Count me in as surprised with this announcement. No fanfare and after close of business. I guess they are satisfied with how the 789's performance on LAX-MEL to stretch the Dreamliner's range to SFO-SIN. (No doubt low oil prices will help the route's margins.) This route was inevitable with the proper equipment. Nice job on UAL's part to jump SQ potentially starting this route in a few years. I would have thought they would have waited for the A35J before starting the route. I still think the A35J will end up operating this route once enough have been delivered as the plane has several hundred more miles of range and will seat scores more passengers while having greater fuel burn. My main question is how weight restricted will the aircraft be going westbound, especially in the winter. Might have to block off a few dozen seats next winter. Fortunately, the 789's fuel burn is unmatched by any other aircraft in commercial service, save for the few A359s. UAL better be coming up with serious hard and soft product upgrades throughout their longhaul fleet, because SQ is going to counter them on this route.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, I doubt that. They will consider it. It will be SFO-BKK by operated 777-200ER aircraft.

It will grow more. They can adds more nonstop from SFO only instead of LAX. It's right choice to fly to Asia. It's much better than any other routes.
If SFO-BKK is to be launched, its going to be operated by the 789. It has the range and the fuel efficiency to make it work. The days of 777-200ERs operating across the Pacific are dying due to high fuel burn. (I still find that hard to type.)