FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt - Safe to Travel?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:34 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I travel to Egypt frequently, and spend quite a lot of time there, principally in Cairo. I'm conscience that my views are biased by my familiarity and affection for the place, but apart from a very definite security presence, life in Cairo goes on as normal.

Last week a lorry fell off an overpass onto a micro-bus terminal, killing/injuring a large number of people. International reports of opponents of the regime disappearing off the streets. Road deaths by the score. It's not the safest environment The threat of a terrorist attack is remote but present, just another layer of insecurity. Metro fares, staple food prices, fuel price - all are going to have to go up sometime, but the government fears unrest: so there are wider political tensions than the usually recognised one.

With all that you might expect a drab place. But the Egyptian good humour is always present: people are helpful. It's colder than you might expect at the moment, but the sky is blue, the Nile flows, there are concerts at the Opera, museums to be seen and the pyramids hovering on the eastern horizon.

Worth a visit!

Got to add that Uber and Careem taxi services work like a dream, taking much of the getting around Cairo anxieties away from tourists.