FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt - Safe to Travel?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:06 pm
Dromomaniac

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Hi all. I'm considering a short four day trip to Cairo as a solo male traveler in March and am having second thoughts.
Go. You will not regret it.

We went last summer. Arrived in Luxor two days after the suicide attack that killed zero innocent bystanders or tourists. We spent several days in Cairo. Several more in Luxor.

Everywhere we went, we were practically the only tourists there. When else in your lifetime would you ever have the chance to stand at the base of the pyramids, the Citadel, or in a temple or tomb and be nearly alone? We did, and it was wonderful.

We had "private security" everywhere we went, because all the tourist police and guards had nobody else to protect! Sometimes the guards would follow us around, literally giving us private security the entire way. I would give them a few pounds here and there and they would take good care of us.

The Egyptians are desperate for tourists. There were people yelling to us, as we walked down streets, "thank you for coming!" At one guard station, a police officer shared his lunch with me. These are the kinds of travel experiences I had only ever read about! It was amazing. The kindness and gratitude we experienced everywhere was wonderful.

We hired a guide for everything. Guides are desperate for business, too, so you can likely get a good deal. And, hiring a guide and air conditioned private car makes it easy to get around. We had a language interpreter available everywhere we went, and someone who could help us historically interpret what we were seeing.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have second thoughts, myself. I'm glad I went. You will be too. Just go, and enjoy every minute of the adventure. The risk you perceive right now will feel silly once you're there. Especially if you're staying in Cairo and other tourist destinations, you have very little to worry about. Enjoy your trip!