FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:08 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
What is deal with loophole of new Advantage cards I closed my card last year was wondering if I can reapply & get bonus again sooner than 18 months? Is there anyway to know or do you just apply & see what info says when you get cards in mail?
The way to know is to know what kind of card (World or World Elite) you had at the time you closed it. If you still have the card in a drawer, that's easy. If you still have all the emails that citi sent you about (after you had it), that's fairly easy. If you still have it in your online citi.com account, that's fairly easy.

But if you wiped out all trace of it, I don't know of any way for you to know.

The "deal" is that if you know your card was upgrade to World Elite, then it's safe to reapply. But not everyone get upgrades, and until sometime last year, no one got upgraded.

The "deal" is that you have to pay attention and keep good records of exactly what kind of card Citi sends you every time they send you something, and it's even helpful to keep all of Citi's junk email, because it contains clues about what exact card you have at that instant.

In other words, it's not an official (sanctioned by Citi) "loophole". Once they discover it, they'll close it. So the last thing you want to do is point it out to them! (Which is why you want to figure out which exact kind of card you had on your own, without trying to ask anyone at Citi.)