FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA LHR Cash Upgrade / AUP
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:30 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chrisbyrd
Sorry - yes, I appreciate that specifically AUP would be a BA 'thing' actually at LHR.

My question as more about general upgrading (with cash) in advance. I called AA today and they said it was not possible to upgrade on codeshare flights, which surprised me. Is that definitely the case? Is it likely to be due to it being an I rather than J fare?
It should be possible to rebook your AA ticket into higher class fares, but that would typically be at the same price available at the time of initial booking plus change fee. AA can have less punishing change fees than BA, or similar ones. So that's just a ticket amendment. POUGs aren't offered to BA customers on AA tickets, nor is UuA, so special priced upgrades are not available if buying via AA. The UuA is a real significant one since often at the time of purchase CW is wide open but First isn't showing anything available for UuA. Then a few weeks later, if sales don't pick up, First starts to be available for UuA.

I guess it's a downside of buying via AA that people need to be aware of. It's quite well publicised elsewhere on FT.

AUPs are available on the date of departure, subject to availability and past behaviour.