BA LHR Cash Upgrade / AUP

Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Hi

Does anyone know if BA still offer cash upgrades at LHR (an AUP I think?)?

I will have a J ticket to LAX in April and I'm wondering if a cash upgrade to First cabin is likely to be on offer? Any idea what sort of ££ it's likely to be?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:48 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hread-41.html#

Yes, BA still offers this Ask at check-in or at the lounge (but you may be directed to another desk).

There are no direct comparisons for LAX unfortunately, but a data point for CW - F to SFO showed £599 in Oct. 2014. Expect something higher.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yes, ask on check-in. Here's the jist on the pricing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-thread.html

Edit: Darn, lost the race
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:19 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
now that I've successfully beaten Foltan I've dug up a little more info regarding AUP CW-F from LAX:

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Date point: Asked at GF lounge for an upgrade CW->F on the A380 to LAX but hey weren't willing to sell one. GF agent and CC onboard confirmed there were two empty seats in F.
Originally Posted by haasha
I obviously don't know the real reason but I observed that LAX has the most expensive First class seats. It makes sense not to offer ~500 GBP upgrades to preserve exclusivity.
Originally Posted by Genius1
LAX is one of the routes with the most fare-paying F pax.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:28 am

The reason AUP is unpredictable is that BA doesn't want to put people off buying full fare tickets. If Lord Reginald Fortescue-Smythe-Left-Arm-Over-The-Wicket knew AUP was always available, he would simply rock up with his discounted Lastminute.com Club ticket in his mitt and proffer his Coutts card to buy a £5000 First Class ticket for, what, a total of £2,500? Retaining First Class is only commercially viable if you have a customer base who are prepared to pay the full fare.

The BA269 to Los Angeles was offering AUP today - J to F was £649. If that sounds good to you, then Good Luck chrisbyrd - hope we offer it on your day!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks all!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

Slightly off topic...or not. Are cash upgrades also related to load factor in F?
Reason I'm asking is that I have a flight to DFW(193) in a few days and I'm the only pax in F at the moment.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by freshaz
... I'm the only pax in F at the moment.
What makes you think that?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:12 pm

Slightly off topic...or not. Are cash upgrades also related to load factor in F?
Reason I'm asking is that I have a flight to DFW(193) in a few days and I'm the only pax in F at the moment.
It is a factor but not the only one. There are only a certain number of flights selected each day for AUP.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Quote:

... I'm the only pax in F at the moment.

What makes you think that?
The flight is in two days. F pax automatically get assigned seats{if memory serves right...and I'm the only one in the cabin). Seat map has me in 1A and has been like that for past week. Also asked for loads in thread about availability.
(Using phone otherwise would load screen grab. Returning via IAD and first is full with all seats occupied.)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The flight is in two days. F pax automatically get assigned seats{if memory serves right...and I'm the only one in the cabin). Seat map has me in 1A and has been like that for past week. Also asked for loads in thread about availability.
If you mean the flight on 1/14/16 then I think you might be right

It looks like a very light loading and in addition, there are currently 5 reward seats in CW and an amazing 4 reward seats in F on the 193 to DFW on 1/14/16.

In many cases looking at the seat map even a few days out isn't a terribly good indication of how many seats will actually be occupied on the flight. In this case, with the combination of EF loadings and reward availability you may indeed to right.

Perhaps report back on this thread how many people actually were in the F cabin on the day for no other reason than random curiosity on my part.

Have a great flight.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA CCR, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Paid £649 CW - F on the A380 LHR to LAX in early December.

Flight was very quiet for LA.

Neighbours in F were typical LA flight. Rebel Wilson, Danny Boyle and Tom Hooper....

Also had an excellent crew.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Quote:

If you mean the flight on 1/14/16 then I think you might be right

It looks like a very light loading and in addition, there are currently 5 reward seats in CW and an amazing 4 reward seats in F on the 193 to DFW on 1/14/16.

In many cases looking at the seat map even a few days out isn't a terribly good indication of how many seats will actually be occupied on the flight. In this case, with the combination of EF loadings and reward availability you may indeed to right.

Perhaps report back on this thread how many people actually were in the F cabin on the day for no other reason than random curiosity on my part.

Have a great flight.
Golfmad....indeed on the 14th. I will be sure to report back.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Right, so I've got my tickets now. It's actually an I fare booked on AA6186 (BA283) on 9th April 16. Looks like an A380

Are BA likely to offer an online upgrade at checkin CW->F cabin? Is AUP still a possibility even if it's an AA ticket?

Any other tips to for a cost-effective (ish) way to get into F from where I am now?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:40 pm

completed check in a few hours ago....

will report tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.