FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:37 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richard Berg
It's a silver card that says "Platinum Select" on the front and "WORLD ELITE" on the back. Pretty sure it's the original card they sent last May, i.e. not a replacement for a yellow/red "World" card. Exp 05/19.

So, does that mean link 4c is ready for me to churn?
If they really sent you a WE as your first card, the question is whether they will do that again? If so, your churn may not be successful. The whole W->WE loophole is based on the fact that they're approving your new card as a different type of card (W) than the card you currently own (WE). The loophole might not work if you're a person to whom they give WE from the start. (But if so, you would be the first person we've heard of that being confirmed. So far everyone who reports getting a WE from that start seems to be not really absolutely sure about it, just like you.)

So at the very least, from now on keep track of this stuff, so you don't have be just "pretty sure" about it.

I don't throw away or shred any of my cancelled or replaced cards. I put them in a box, where I can refer to them later if any questions arise. If a bank suddenly imposes a policy "no bonus for you if you had the same card in the past 7 or so years" (which Amex-the-bank did do in the past year or so), I just go to my box and figure out I last had the card. (Btw, Amex the bank seems to have implemented exactly that policy.

You don't have to put the cards in a box of course; you could keep paper or spreadsheet records of them instead, for example. But in this case, you would have needed to know that you need two specific words from the back of the card, and would you have kept that if you weren't keeping the whole card?