FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:54 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They are so near gone that any extra day you wait to cancel yours put you at risk of starting an 18 clock. So cancel it right now! Citi doesn't necessarily notify when they're going to convert a Visa to an MC, and it might happen tomorrow! And as soon it happens, your 18 month clock starts ticking.

So if you really want to churn again, cancel the AA Visa right now.

The CL you lower can take weeks to be freed up for new applications. We don't know exactly how long.
On a related note...all my old Citi Visa cards got converted long ago. But I do have a different anachronistic old Citi card that I have been thinking a lot about recently: a Citi "Amex" card. Had it probably about 4 years. Frankly, I've been surprised it has soldiered on so long.

I hadn't been using it much for the past year or so, then a few months back I discovered a new reason to use it a little on a regular basis. So I've been putting around $1K every month on it recently. Sadly, the option to use that particular card in the way I've been using it, that's no loner available (as of, well, when I woke up yesterday morning and checked my email...I suspect a few others here can probably relate). So, bottom line, my old Citi Amex doesn't seem to have much use anymore - only a little sentimental value.

Question: Does Citi convert old Citi Amex cards to new MCs?

If so, I'm thinking it's time for me to retire this old horse before it gets swapped out.

Thanks.