FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:26 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ray1022
I have one GPU left and looking to use it on an international flight (ewr-delhi) before it expires on 1/31/16. I found outbound R upgrade space in W fare, so can use my GPU on the outbound. For the return, purchasing business class is extremely expensive, but I want to be in a premium cabin. I can easily find mileage space on the return though. But am I able to split the ticket like this (purchase a W fare on the outbound, apply my GPU, and then for the return I utilize miles)? Or will it not allow since it is not pricing a roundtrip fare and it will instead price it as a one-way fare (the one-way fare on the outbound is also extremely expensive). Any other options for the return that I could do?
I looked into purchasing economy on the return and using miles + copay to upgrade, but did not find any upgrade space available. Thanks!

You have to look at the fare rules.

To book an outbound with cash and a return with miles, you'd need a one-way fare. Internationally, that often prices prohibitively, as one-way fares are often much more expensive than RTs.

So you have to get creative.

Maybe get a one-way from a market that prices favorably (e.g., PHL-DEL is cheaper than EWR-DEL for one-ways).

Or, book a RT and figure out how to upgrade (e.g., maybe miles + copay on return vs. just miles).

Or, book an open jaw with the return to a cheaper destination (e.g., PHL: EWR-DEL, DEL-EWR-ZFV).

Or, pay for Business on the return only, in conjunction with the outbound coach upgradeable ticket, to leverage the RT fare. Maybe even on a different route or to a nearby city.