FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TG472 (dep2200 arr0325+1) SYD-BKK F class review and thoughts
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:13 pm
mediator

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
TG472 (dep2200 arr0325+1) SYD-BKK F class review and thoughts

Hi all, I took the TG472 in F last week and I sough to write a brief review about this flight. I had some doubts after I booked this flight as TG472 leaves SYD at 10pm and arrives in BKK at a rather brutal hour (0325). But turns out the whole flight was a pleasant experience. Here is my review.

Check in at SYD: TG used F island for check-in. The check-in starts at 1900 exact and the whole process was efficient. Express card was given.

Lounge: TG uses NZ lounge at SYD. The lounge was exceptional. Keep in mind the buffet table closes at 9pm. The buffet consists beef, fish and pasta I think. I didn't eat the food as I spent too much time in duty-free for deciding whether I should buy Dom or Krug Note if you have Amex plat or black card there is a Centurion lounge that can be used, near gate 24.

Flight: I booked my flight in November and though I was getting a 747 all serise hence new F^. But when I checked in the day before my flight my booking showed 747-400 hence old F The old F seat however, was surprisingly comfortable. I wasn't sure if my seat was 180 flat as the head section perturbs out and creates a small angle. The catering was standard TG catering which includes caviar, appetizer, entree, etc. I would say the catering was excellent.

Transfer at BKK: Upon landing at BKK I was welcomed by a staff and he took me to the E-gate TG J lounge using a golf cart (I have connecting flight in F on TG). It was shortly before 4 when I got to the lounge. Officially the lounge wasn't open till 4:30am but the staff opened the lounge for me and even unlocked a small living room for me as well^ Those small living rooms have "reserved" signs on them. That was the most boring hours during my connection as nothing I could do inside the lounge. Around 5am I left the lounge for the F lounge in D gates. Note there is a long walk between D and E as you are pretty much travels from one-end of the airport to the other end.I spent the rest of my connection in F lounge.

Overall verdict: The timing for the TG472 wasn't too bad if you are connecting from NZ or other parts of the Australia. The only problem is at BKK as most lounges are closed when you arrive and I am not sure if TG will open lounge for J/Y passengers at that time. Most early morning TG flight won't depart until 7am or so and that means you have to spent some hours in BKK to wait for the connecting flight. I wish TG472 could leave later at SYD, maybe around 2259 so that the connecting time can be shorten.