Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG472 (dep2200 arr0325+1) SYD-BKK F class review and thoughts

Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hi all, I took the TG472 in F last week and I sough to write a brief review about this flight. I had some doubts after I booked this flight as TG472 leaves SYD at 10pm and arrives in BKK at a rather brutal hour (0325). But turns out the whole flight was a pleasant experience. Here is my review.

Check in at SYD: TG used F island for check-in. The check-in starts at 1900 exact and the whole process was efficient. Express card was given.

Lounge: TG uses NZ lounge at SYD. The lounge was exceptional. Keep in mind the buffet table closes at 9pm. The buffet consists beef, fish and pasta I think. I didn't eat the food as I spent too much time in duty-free for deciding whether I should buy Dom or Krug Note if you have Amex plat or black card there is a Centurion lounge that can be used, near gate 24.

Flight: I booked my flight in November and though I was getting a 747 all serise hence new F^. But when I checked in the day before my flight my booking showed 747-400 hence old F The old F seat however, was surprisingly comfortable. I wasn't sure if my seat was 180 flat as the head section perturbs out and creates a small angle. The catering was standard TG catering which includes caviar, appetizer, entree, etc. I would say the catering was excellent.

Transfer at BKK: Upon landing at BKK I was welcomed by a staff and he took me to the E-gate TG J lounge using a golf cart (I have connecting flight in F on TG). It was shortly before 4 when I got to the lounge. Officially the lounge wasn't open till 4:30am but the staff opened the lounge for me and even unlocked a small living room for me as well^ Those small living rooms have "reserved" signs on them. That was the most boring hours during my connection as nothing I could do inside the lounge. Around 5am I left the lounge for the F lounge in D gates. Note there is a long walk between D and E as you are pretty much travels from one-end of the airport to the other end.I spent the rest of my connection in F lounge.

Overall verdict: The timing for the TG472 wasn't too bad if you are connecting from NZ or other parts of the Australia. The only problem is at BKK as most lounges are closed when you arrive and I am not sure if TG will open lounge for J/Y passengers at that time. Most early morning TG flight won't depart until 7am or so and that means you have to spent some hours in BKK to wait for the connecting flight. I wish TG472 could leave later at SYD, maybe around 2259 so that the connecting time can be shorten.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
thanks for the trip report and good that you had a enjoyable experience.
So did they open lounge only for you or also for connecting J passengers?

re TG lounge in E: the lounge on the west side has actually a small integrated F lounge (it is from the entrance on the right side); could that be the "small living room" that you mention?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks for the trip report and good that you had a enjoyable experience.
So did they open lounge only for you or also for connecting J passengers?

re TG lounge in E: the lounge on the west side has actually a small integrated F lounge (it is from the entrance on the right side); could that be the "small living room" that you mention?
Thanks for the response. I doubt TG will open the lounge for connecting J passengers. When I arrive at the J lounge, the staff inside the lounge seems a little surprised. I think they open the J lounge for me because both of my flights are in F.

I think there is a F lounge in E gates, the staff also mentioned that there was a "small" F lounge in E and a "main" F lounge in D. I did not take time to search for the F lounge in E gates as I want to use the spa at D gates.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
Hi all, I took the TG472 in F last week and I sough to write a brief review about this flight. .... Around 5am I left the lounge for the F lounge in D gates. Note there is a long walk between D and E as you are pretty much travels from one-end of the airport to the other end. I spent the rest of my connection in F lounge.
Nice update, thanks.

In my experience, concourse E-D isn't too much of a walk - perhaps 1/2 the worst possible distance depending on where in each concourse you depart/arrive at.

Way worse is the end of C to the end of E or G (F/B are slightly shorter).

For the extremely bored FTer, the lengths of each concourse from 'tip' to 'intersection' (or intersection-intersection for D) is as follows:

B/F ~ 285m
A/C/E/G ~ 475m
D ~ 815m

So, arriving on TG on, say the tip of C, and walking to the end of E or G would be 1,765m - say 21 mins at 5 kph, more if meandering or dodging other travelers. There are longer walks possible at other airports.....

Fortunately, I'm back at work tomorrow and will have less idle time for such nonsense....
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
B/F ~ 285m
A/C/E/G ~ 475m
D ~ 815m

So, arriving on TG on, say the tip of C, and walking to the end of E or G would be 1,765m - say 21 mins at 5 kph, more if meandering or dodging other travelers. There are longer walks possible at other airports.....

Fortunately, I'm back at work tomorrow and will have less idle time for such nonsense....
thanks for the distances; surprised about the 815m of D!?

don't forget that there are rolling walkways (with the exceptions of D on departure level)
I always take this as a good workout and I usually walk faster than you mention; usually in less than 5 minutes from C10 or E10 to immigration
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks for the distances; surprised about the 815m of D!?

don't forget that there are rolling walkways (with the exceptions of D on departure level)
I always take this as a good workout and I usually walk faster than you mention; usually in less than 5 minutes from C10 or E10 to immigration
Me too. I recall when living in Bangkok, I visited the airport very soon after it opened both land-side and air-side (I had work in PNH), and could access arrivals in those days - my local staff were confused and bemused I wanted to go to the airport 5 hours prior to departure, and explaining I wanted to fully walk around both on/land sides simply didn't compute....
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: *G, VA G, IHG PE
Mediator, what were the menu items for the flight? I'm wondering if they have changed recently. Thanks!

Always worth checking out the lounge next door to the AirNZ ones. It has a nice private area!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Phalanger
Always worth checking out the lounge next door to the AirNZ ones. It has a nice private area!
In other words, the SQ lounge, which has both C and F sections.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:44 am

I only do 476 these days as I enjoy F flight during day time more and prefer Singapore airlines lounge in Syd.

My partner just did business class on 472 and the express immigration wasnt available at BKK as it was too early??!! Had to be in the line over an hour as it was too busy lol F might be different though.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phalanger
Mediator, what were the menu items for the flight? I'm wondering if they have changed recently. Thanks!

Sorry I pre-ordered my meal so couldn't remember the selection. I recall the menu include beef and chicken.Caviar is also served.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Had a fairly decent lakhsa in the SQ F lounge. If you can access it I don't know why you'd go to the NZ lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mediator

Sorry I pre-ordered my meal so couldn't remember the selection. I recall the menu include beef and chicken.Caviar is also served.
The pre-ordering options ex SYD in F usually includes Lobster which I always choose.

SQ First Lounge is definitely the go ex SYD.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: most of them
There can definitely be some long walks. My PG flight from PNH arrived way out at the end of G. From there to immigration was quite a walk!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
go the Air NZ lounge Worse after refurbishment and has a real refectory feel to it now - I always prefer to use the SQ F lounge if flying F or the SQ C lounge as C pax and Star Gold Most visits of late to F lounge no longer any dragons trying t orestrict access Great showers great food small discreet and definitely refined. I thing th SYD SQ F lounge is much better than the refurbished SQ F lounge at HKG and miles over the F lounges at SIN
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
Thanks a lot for the trip report. I'm considering this flight in F and I was just wondering if the meal service was the full grand dinner service or if it was an abridged sleeper meal service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.