FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I have a flight for 2 people booked that my partner now can't take anymore. Is it okay to just leave it as is and only check in one person and with only one person taking the flight, will that only cancel my partner's return flight or mine as well? Should I call in to ask for a PNR split to avoid this? Not sure about what to do here.
I'd call in and see if you can cancel one of the awards, just to be safe. You don't have to redeposit the miles and pay the fee if you don't want to.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
just to add to this from the last page...

you say you want to purchase 150k+115k bonus miles for $4425 x2, so 530k miles for 8850USD

and you need 3 J seats

Assuming BOI-BKK, that's some obvious positioning flights anyway, so good departure ports would likely be YVR, SEA or PDX.

YVR would be the cheapest but there's no direct BOI-YVR flights so scratch that, let's take SEA

BOI-SEA-YVR-CAN-BKK is the cheapest routing (well here's YVR again anyway), all in J for 3 is a total of ~9300 USD

Roughly the same price as buying miles + award-ticket fees, BUT... you'll also earn a tooooon of miles actually flying this thing. If China Southern/Skyteam isn't your thing, there's also the option of

BOI-SEA-YVR-HKG-BKK, with YVR-HKG on AC and HKG-BKK on Thai, for a total of ~10600USD. Plus all the miles you'll get. (e.g. YVR-HKG-BKK is ~15k miles, which you can credit for ~30k miles per person, 90k overall. If you value them at a conservative 1.5cpm, that's worth ~1350USD, not to mention status benefits.

so... keep that in mind when weighing award flights bought purely on miles vs outright buying. Paying fully for miles is hardly ever a good idea, topping up for something is much better. Otherwise, buying the ticket will usually be a much better deal, especially considering you also get miles and status from it.
I believe OP needs 330K miles for 3 J tickets, so the cost is more like
150k + 115k bonus = $4,425
43k + 22.5k bonus = $1,268.50
Total = ($5,693.50 + 7.5% tax) + (2 x $30 processing charge) = $6,180.52

But I totally agree with you that if it were me, I'd be purchasing the J tickets, especially given the excellent fares to BKK.