FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:27 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by williamdw
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)
1. Surely this question is better addressed directly with AA. Ordinarily, I'd say no problem, but here you are trying to use the exact same bonus offer in two consecutive calendar years. But why can't one of your traveling companions purchase miles as well? Not an AAdvantage member?
Good news! I called again and got someone with their head on straight who confirmed that I could definitely purchase miles in each calendar year and get the bonus for both (we walked through the exact scenario, including maxing out their mileage allowance for each of the years etc, and confirming I'd get the bonus on both maxed out purchases)

Frustratingly, despite the language of the offer saying "accounts less than 30 days old are not permitted", they're saying my account (opened Dec 2nd 2015) won't be eligible on the 31st of Dec as I had hoped despite that being the 30th day (I had hoped they'd count the signup day which would make the 31st the 30th day and so no longer "less than 30 days", but apparently they feel the join day doesn't count as one of the days )

I'm now scrambling see if a friend or family member has an AAdvantage account that I can 'gift' the miles to, and have them turn around and execute the purchase on my behalf with the gifted miles. Grr!

Thank you again for your help!
Were three MileSAAver seats available for your desired dates of travel? If not, this is all moot.

Don't overthink this. You're not traveling until next Fall. Have your wife sign up for AAdvantage immediately. She'll then be eligible to purchase miles starting at the end of January. She'll just have to wait for the next good miles sale from AA; fortunately, they seem to come along with some frequency.