FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 SE Benefits - any insight?
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:28 am
cooleddie

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
To be honest, even if they make improvements to SE concierge program or introduce special lounges for SEs (which I don't think they will), there's a few things that I've come to the realization that will never change. And because of these things, it just doesn't make SE worthwhile as a target for 2017. Some of these things are:

1) Luggage collection in YYZ will always take forever, regardless of your status. It doesn't matter if you're SE or super super SE or if you have a giant orange tag, it's gonna take forever.

2) Annoying ads will still continue to play in IFEs, regardless of your status

3) Maintenance and overall cleanliness of the cabin will still continue to be below average, regardless of your status

4) Service levels from Air Canada FAs will continue to be the same, and never match those of Asian airlines, SAA or some European airlines, regardless of your status.

5) Food will still be the same, regardless of your status. (The same 4 domestic choices).

6) Movie rotations will continue to be slow and mediocre, regardless of your status.

For the record, I've never really needed the help of the concierge. When things go the way they are supposed to go, you don't need the concierge.

This past weekend I flew Lufthansa J class and Air Canada J class back-to-back - both long-haul. What a huge difference. Lufthansa had way more attentive service and professionalism than Air Canada J, even though I'm a nobody status on Lufthansa. Lufthansa had on-time departure and early 10 min arrival. Air Canada was delayed by 2 hours. Lufthansa had flynet. AC had nothing. You can bet that I'd be trying out other airlines J class more often this year. I just don't see a reason to be loyal to AC unless they offer the best value for money.