2017 SE Benefits - any insight?

Old Dec 30, 15, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
2017 SE Benefits - any insight?

As we move into 2016 with AQD for SE more than twice the amount of the next lowest tier, has anyone been able to glean what the 2017 benefits are? Will they be that much better?

I ask because I will be booking 6-8 TATL J and at least 2-3 to Africa/Asia also in J
Spend will not be an issue but there are clear differences in soft product and benefits.

Given that incumbent SE do not even receive threshold gifts until 150K and that the only obvious benefit exclusive to SE is the now "not so great" Concierge program, just wondering what the benefits will be for an additional 11K in spend?

In good faith, AC should provide this information at the start of the AQD earning year.
Old Dec 30, 15, 9:51 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Flying unicorns just landed from Mars and have asked us to deliver the leader of Russia, President Donald Trump, for his new job, Supreme Leader of the Milky Way.
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Flying unicorns just landed from Mars and have asked us to deliver the leader of Russia, President Donald Trump, for his new job, Supreme Leader of the Milky Way.

BRILLIANT. and

(you will do what we tell you and you will enjoy it)
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:26 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
The beatings will continue until morale improves. That is all.
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:27 am
Original Poster

You made me chuckle but surely someone knows something...
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
To be honest, even if they make improvements to SE concierge program or introduce special lounges for SEs (which I don't think they will), there's a few things that I've come to the realization that will never change. And because of these things, it just doesn't make SE worthwhile as a target for 2017. Some of these things are:

1) Luggage collection in YYZ will always take forever, regardless of your status. It doesn't matter if you're SE or super super SE or if you have a giant orange tag, it's gonna take forever.

2) Annoying ads will still continue to play in IFEs, regardless of your status

3) Maintenance and overall cleanliness of the cabin will still continue to be below average, regardless of your status

4) Service levels from Air Canada FAs will continue to be the same, and never match those of Asian airlines, SAA or some European airlines, regardless of your status.

5) Food will still be the same, regardless of your status. (The same 4 domestic choices).

6) Movie rotations will continue to be slow and mediocre, regardless of your status.

For the record, I've never really needed the help of the concierge. When things go the way they are supposed to go, you don't need the concierge.

This past weekend I flew Lufthansa J class and Air Canada J class back-to-back - both long-haul. What a huge difference. Lufthansa had way more attentive service and professionalism than Air Canada J, even though I'm a nobody status on Lufthansa. Lufthansa had on-time departure and early 10 min arrival. Air Canada was delayed by 2 hours. Lufthansa had flynet. AC had nothing. You can bet that I'd be trying out other airlines J class more often this year. I just don't see a reason to be loyal to AC unless they offer the best value for money.
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wings100 View Post
You made me chuckle but surely someone knows something...
The focus on spend per tier will continue to be looked at and adjusted. This is from AC management. The details of which were not divulged to me, but expect this focus to continue.
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:43 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I understand the OP's frustration. It's not the spend requirement that bothers me. Its the AC setting a spend bar without sharing what the benefits are.

So what if I spend the 20k with them and then they cut concierge, IKK, and YQ waiver for 2017? I would have spent my money elsewhere if they are going to do that ( as an example )
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:50 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
irrelevant for me. I live in Toronto and AC provides the most nonstop options to almost everywhere that I go to, or 1 stop to some of them.

Why would I put points into an equally "bad" airline points program and have less options when i redeem ?

and also I like to buy things from Canadian companies, all other things being equal. it keeps my neighbours employed.

Last edited by karachi; Dec 30, 15 at 11:01 am Reason: inserted "bad" where word with *** got zapped
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Sean and Karachi...you both make good points.

Cooleddie - in the last 12 months I have flown J on BA, SQ, SAA, TK in addition to AC...in previous years have done AA, UA, LH

I agree with your comments regarding cabin cleanliness and FA...these are two definitive areas where AC needs to improve

However, AC is now asking for my monetary loyalty and I want to know what I will receive for it....

SAP seems to have the inside track with AC mgmt...let us know what you know...thx
Old Dec 30, 15, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wings100 View Post
SAP seems to have the inside track with AC mgmt...let us know what you know...thx
That is all I know. AC is focused on rewarding profitable fliers. If one is a bottom feeding elite member, AC wants you gonzo.
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by karachi View Post
irrelevant for me. I live in Toronto and AC provides the most nonstop options to almost everywhere that I go to, or 1 stop to some of them.

Why would I put points into an equally "bad" airline points program and have less options when i redeem ?

and also I like to buy things from Canadian companies, all other things being equal. it keeps my neighbours employed.
I like to support CDN companies, too. But that doesn't mean I want to be taken advantage of. More transparency and especially being upfront about what one is working towards would be a huge improvement over the current situation.
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Chia-pets, mostly.

All hail Xenu!
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG PLAT, National Executive
If they were planning to improve the benefits, they would have announced it in order to encourage people to spend 20k.
If are planning on further cuts, they will keep it quiet so they don't scare away those that will be spending the 20k.
The longer it takes to hear from them, the more likely number 2 is.
Old Dec 30, 15, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I agree with Mendy. I'm not expecting things to improve much for SE's. I recognize this as AC finally having zeroed in on how to cull the heard of non-profitable SE's. I suspect some of the savings will go towards continuing to improve the J product and lounges. You don't need to be SE to benefit from that.

Search this Thread