FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:45 am
joeypore

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm pretty sure you are correct. AA has released me from paying APD on tickets that were issued separately by AA and FI. Someone asks for a "summary"? I'll show them a printout of my TripIt trip summary.

I sincerely doubt AA will volunteer to pay my APD if it's due.
I suppose I'll chime back in now that other people are in on the discussion.

Lol. AA paying for something that they don't need to.......haha... Oh yeah, they're a US based airline. Of course they wouldn't!

To the guy that's relentlessly arguing that we are in the wrong, would it really kill you to consider that your limited knowledge (non-omniscience) could be incomplete? Not a personal attack by any means, but given the evidence and examples at hand... Maybe instead of acting like you wrote the law..... (Monkey covering his mouth emoji)

All in good jest.

I think it's safe to say none of us here represent the people who govern/enforce this in the UK, so we could all be wrong to some extent, and probably are missing something.

I did a bit of digging, however, and while not the exact situation, the exemption of taxes from a connection of less than 24 hours, but regarding two separate PNRs / itineraries is apparently a very common practice in the world of employee travel. For leisure, that is.

Airline employees, as I have read, are responsible for the exact same taxes as revenue pax are on flights originating in London, including the premium cabin taxes should they be seated as such; however, if they present an incoming boarding pass that shows their arrival into the country within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time, they are exempt from the taxes. Regardless of the airline, type of ticket, etc. it just has to be a ticket of completed travel that shows the scheduled time of arrival into the country.

I don't know the specifics of how it is documented, of course, but this would explain why the AA agents in LHR are quite aware of this practice, as I assume many employees use LHR as an onward hub to Europe noting the amount of flights that fly into LHR (also lack of flights to other cities on AA metal), and equally why many phone agents /other agents that don't deal with this regularly would be out of the loop regarding the same issue.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by joeypore; Dec 30, 2015 at 6:48 am Reason: Typing on an iPad