FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthdays in HKG + SYD (CX F/J, QF J, HA F)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:56 am
lmwong1977

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Birthdays in HKG + SYD (CX F/J, QF J, HA F)

Intro

Another year another devaluation. With AA devaluation looming and actual devaluations from Club Carlson and IHG, time to spend those points & miles. And visit another racetrack! [I also discover the panoramic mode on my phone ]

Miles & Points:
130,000 AA miles + $5.60 + 87.20 = $92.80
50,000 BA miles + $65.13
100,000 IHG points
50,000 Club Carlson points
2 free nights from Hyatt cc sign-up
Not quite free = $157.93

Planning & Booking
Last year was Europe, so time to try transpacific again. I was thinking either Hong Kong or Tokyo to add a new city to my list. Couldn't get the Japan Cup or HK Championship dates to work with a return flight. Around the time I was searching, there was the announcement of the Club Carlson devaluation. That got me thinking of an open jaw to Sydney as the Radisson was pretty good there. I was able to find the red-eye CX J SFO-HKG for Thanksgiving week and QF/HA J SYD-HNL-SFO returning a week after. The last of my BA miles tied it all together with another red-eye CX J HKG-SYD.

My sister had mentioned I should let her know if my next vacation included cheap fares. $500 rt to HKG in coach is pretty cheap. A few days later, she booked UA landing a few hours after me and returning the same day as I leave for SYD. Our birthdays are a few days apart so this trip would be a birthday trip!

She didn't want to change hotels during our 5-night stay, so I booked the Holiday Inn Express - Hong Kong Soho for 100k (just before that went up in price). Finished up Sydney with Hyatt by phone and online with Carlson for the final 1+1.

As usual AA partner tickets don't ticket well, had to give AA a nudge on the CX flight to get it ticketed after waiting a few days. The QF/HA was better, but went back to "on request" months later due to schedule change of 30 minutes and had an AS HNL-OAK tix listed on request. A phone call got my original ticket back in line to ticket. What a PITA. BA ticketed my CX flight from HKG to SYD nearly immediately and I didn't have to call or watch it in case it un-ticketed.

I checked CX sporadically using BA not really expecting any F but 2 days before my flight I see one for my red-eye. Called, waited for close to an hour and it's still available! Later learned I made it difficult as I had checked in earlier in the day. [Tip #1 - un-check-in before you upgrade a flight.] What the hell, my birthday was in a few days. Go ahead, put me on hold for another 20 minutes. The AA agent did her thing and got it cancelled and redid the ticket as a F. Early b-day present to me! The next morning it ticketed - thank goodness. So much trouble but for the price I shouldn't complain (too much)!

The itinerary was not in stone. I really could have been better with the notes I made from info in these forums but I was pretty lazy in organizing all I copied. Didn't help most of it was on the laptop at home. So played it mostly by ear but still hit most of the things on the list.

Hong Kong

Sydney

Last edited by lmwong1977; Dec 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm Reason: Add and fixed links