FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates business upgrade
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:59 am
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by jintysbhoys3
My mother in law was flying to see her daughter from Glasgow to Dubai this morning. The night before she got an email from Emirates saying she could upgrade for x amount of pounds, as she's 72 and is nervous flying we thought, great! she will enjoy the flight and the lounge access before she goes. Got to the airport earlish checked in okay then she went through security again early so she could relax in the skywards lounge only to be told that although she's upgraded to business she is not allowed to use the skywards lounge?? Nowhere on the email did I see this and after complaining to Emirates they say this is pointed out, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem ?
On the email, underneath the "Your Business Class Benefits" heading with the 3 boxes with pictures saying: "Lie-flat Comfort", "Fine Dining", "Priority boarding and baggage delivery" is the following section:

Important Information

This upgrade offer is exclusive to you and the passengers in your booking. It can only be purchased via the link in this email and is not available at the airport, via Emirates call centres or contact centres. Purchasing the upgrade for specific passengers within a booking is not permitted. All passengers in a booking must purchase the upgrade. This upgrade offer is non-refundable, non-transferable and is only applicable on the flight number and date mentioned above. If you have a connecting Emirates flight, it will remain in the class of travel originally booked. Flights upgraded using this offer are not eligible for Lounge or Chauffeur-drive service. Emirates Skywards members will retain access to lounges based on their tier eligibility. Skywards Miles will accrue at the original ticketed rate. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further details.
Also, when you click through to the link, there is a big green box with some text above your itinerary that says the same thing regarding lounge access and chauffeur-drive (as they clearly have had other passengers complain about the same issue!) before you click on confirm and enter your payment details.

I sympathise that you were expecting that your mother-in-law would benefit from lounge access, but I'm afraid I think EK have made it reasonably clear that this is not the case before paying the money...

Would chalk this one up to experience and really being sure you read everything when it comes to special offers!