Emirates business upgrade

Old Dec 10, 15, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, British Airways
Unhappy Emirates business upgrade

My mother in law was flying to see her daughter from Glasgow to Dubai this morning. The night before she got an email from Emirates saying she could upgrade for x amount of pounds, as she's 72 and is nervous flying we thought, great! she will enjoy the flight and the lounge access before she goes. Got to the airport earlish checked in okay then she went through security again early so she could relax in the skywards lounge only to be told that although she's upgraded to business she is not allowed to use the skywards lounge?? Nowhere on the email did I see this and after complaining to Emirates they say this is pointed out, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem ?
Old Dec 10, 15, 7:47 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
E-mail upgrade offers do not entitle you for lounge access nor chauffeur service. It is clearly mentioned in the e-mail.
Old Dec 10, 15, 7:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Have you read through the original email and fine print in full, and what was displayed on the website?

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ade-offer.html

Originally Posted by aceboy44 View Post
E-mail upgrade offers do not entitle you for lounge access nor chauffeur service. It is clearly mentioned in the e-mail.
Have you stopped flying EK? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24189298-post26.html
Old Dec 10, 15, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jintysbhoys3 View Post
My mother in law was flying to see her daughter from Glasgow to Dubai this morning. The night before she got an email from Emirates saying she could upgrade for x amount of pounds, as she's 72 and is nervous flying we thought, great! she will enjoy the flight and the lounge access before she goes. Got to the airport earlish checked in okay then she went through security again early so she could relax in the skywards lounge only to be told that although she's upgraded to business she is not allowed to use the skywards lounge?? Nowhere on the email did I see this and after complaining to Emirates they say this is pointed out, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem ?
On the email, underneath the "Your Business Class Benefits" heading with the 3 boxes with pictures saying: "Lie-flat Comfort", "Fine Dining", "Priority boarding and baggage delivery" is the following section:

Important Information

This upgrade offer is exclusive to you and the passengers in your booking. It can only be purchased via the link in this email and is not available at the airport, via Emirates call centres or contact centres. Purchasing the upgrade for specific passengers within a booking is not permitted. All passengers in a booking must purchase the upgrade. This upgrade offer is non-refundable, non-transferable and is only applicable on the flight number and date mentioned above. If you have a connecting Emirates flight, it will remain in the class of travel originally booked. Flights upgraded using this offer are not eligible for Lounge or Chauffeur-drive service. Emirates Skywards members will retain access to lounges based on their tier eligibility. Skywards Miles will accrue at the original ticketed rate. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further details.
Also, when you click through to the link, there is a big green box with some text above your itinerary that says the same thing regarding lounge access and chauffeur-drive (as they clearly have had other passengers complain about the same issue!) before you click on confirm and enter your payment details.

I sympathise that you were expecting that your mother-in-law would benefit from lounge access, but I'm afraid I think EK have made it reasonably clear that this is not the case before paying the money...

Would chalk this one up to experience and really being sure you read everything when it comes to special offers!
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
The last time I flew EK was on October (as you mentioned in the thread) and I did receive an upgrade offer in my e-mail. I don't believe they will change the e-mail contents within 2 months.

My upgrade e-mail from EK still clearly mentions no lounge access for this offer.
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I advent had an offer for about 3/4 years but I remember doing it a couple of times and it used to give lounge access - not sure when it changed but I know now as standard it doesn't give car or lounge. Car I understand but the lounge access is a bit mean given they let silvers in the packed Dxb j lounges...
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:53 am
Suspended

The ones I've received also clearly state no lounge access.
Old Dec 10, 15, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
I understand but the lounge access is a bit mean given they let silvers in the packed Dxb j lounges...
We are not given access to the Concourse B lounge, hence this is one of the major reasons why I stopped flying EK for the time being so please, don't accuse us (yes I'm still a valid silver member) of packing the lounge since we are denied access to the B lounge and must walk a very long distance either to access the A or C lounge
Old Dec 10, 15, 11:29 am
Suspended

We are not given access to the Concourse B lounge, hence this is one of the major reasons why I stopped flying EK for the time being so please, don't accuse us (yes I'm still a valid silver member) of packing the lounge since we are denied access to the B lounge and must walk a very long distance either to access the A or C lounge
You're pretty much out of choices when it comes to airlines judging by your posts. A and C can get pretty full at around 1am, too, and I'm sure a lot of those are Silver (as am I).

Also keep in mind that at outstations the lounges aren't always owned and operated by EK, meaning they pay a per-pax fee to the lounge operator. Hence probably why the blanket policy of no lounge on e-mail upgrades, which I think is fair since it's a much cheaper upgrade than you'd get online or by calling.
Old Dec 10, 15, 11:38 am

Programs: Skywards
must walk a very long distance either to access the A or C lounge
I mean, it's not like that all Silvers arrive at B, so not really a valid point
Old Dec 10, 15, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Also keep in mind that at outstations the lounges aren't always owned and operated by EK, meaning they pay a per-pax fee to the lounge operator. Hence probably why the blanket policy of no lounge on e-mail upgrades, which I think is fair since it's a much cheaper upgrade than you'd get online or by calling.
The lounge in KUL is definitely owned by EK, so preventing me lounge access for the $800 upgrade offer is lame to be honest

Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
I mean, it's not like that all Silvers arrive at B, so not really a valid point
The security check-point is at Concourse B. I once arrived at gate C25, and had to walk all the way to the security check-point at concourse B then all the way back again to concourse C (next to gate C25 where we deboarded) just to gain access to the J class lounge in concourse C.

This is definitely not the type of experience I expect during transit for a premium airline like EK. I got tired from all that walking, not to mention if your flight is at concourse B

Last edited by aceboy44; Dec 10, 15 at 9:25 pm
Old Dec 10, 15, 9:34 pm

Aceboy if you want lounge access to the EK network you need to attain gold or pay for j or f.
Old Dec 10, 15, 10:29 pm
Suspended

The lounge in KUL is definitely owned by EK, so preventing me lounge access for the $800 upgrade offer is lame to be honest

The security check-point is at Concourse B. I once arrived at gate C25, and had to walk all the way to the security check-point at concourse B then all the way back again to concourse C (next to gate C25 where we deboarded) just to gain access to the J class lounge in concourse C.

This is definitely not the type of experience I expect during transit for a premium airline like EK. I got tired from all that walking, not to mention if your flight is at concourse B
I said some, hence blanket policy, having per-sector policies would just cause more confusion if someone upgrades KUL - DXB and gets the lounge then next week HYD-DXB they don't.

Also if you arrive in A you're right next to the lounge. And B security to A lounge is far in time, not walking distance, as most of it is spent waiting for and on the train.
Old Dec 11, 15, 12:28 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Aceboy if you want lounge access to the EK network you need to attain gold or pay for j or f.
+1
Try Marhaba or Al Majlis.
Yeah, it comes with a cost, but "there is no such thing as free cheese".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: