FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:12 am
cruisr

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by LPDAL
As he shouldn't, such adolescent behavior!

The danger with TPG, in my view, at least, is that he is purporting to be on the newbie's side, when the actually truth is that he is nothing more than a credit card salesman. That is not to say, however, that all of his content is trash, but in my view, 90% of it is (the videos above). There are, in fact, some diamonds hidden in the piles of dirt [I found his article on debit rewards cards very helpful, for instance.] but the dirt to diamonds ratio is 9 on the dirt side with 1 on the diamond side.

I do wonder how TPG would support himself (and pay his staff) if BankRate and his commission banks cut him off entirely. You can't live off of points.

-LPDAL
All of the cc hucksters pretend to be on the newbie side and none of them are. The are simply CC pushers. The whole loyalty scheme for airlines is changing and will continue to change as will the cc churn that allows one to get the points. Five years from now I predict a very different blogger landscape. There will still be great travel bloggers out there but the whole "get this cc card to be able to take a shower at 38k feet" will be severely reduced.