FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:15 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by EVA777
After traveling on an expensive last minute ticket over the last 2 days I agree. It would be nice to at least have a shot at F if buying a ticket after the comp upgrades run 6 days out. Technically a V fare plat can get cleared at the window and the M fare diamond sits in back. One or two GAP fare SDC's and there go all the seats.

This makes me think of another question. What do they gain by running DM/PM F upgrades 6 days out?
I'm not a businessperson or an economist but it seems to me there are antagonistic forces at play here. On the one hand people buying last-minute are paying the highest fares and you want to keep them happy because they bring in revenue. On the other hand the more people buy in advance the more predictable your loads so you want to incentivize that too.

That being said I'm sure revenue management takes this into account when deciding whether to clear that V-fare DM 6 days out or to hold back inventory. They won't get it 100% correct but close is probably good enough.