FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK PM to get his own RAF transport?
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:50 am
cornishsimon

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by alhenderson
The RAF's fleet of Voyagers (A330s) are run on a PFI deal, owned and maintained by the AirTanker consortium and effectively leased to the RAF. So, there's probably an argument that says the maintenance of this a/c is already paid for within the terms of that contract - as AirTanker would be charging the MOD for it regardless of whether it sits on the ground, flies big wigs around, or refuels fighter jets.

Sounds to me like the RAF is actually going to be short of a tanker while its being used for such VIP missions - and I don't imagine the re-roling of it will be a 5 minute job either.

Al.

PS - finally, my first post on here having finally found something I can meaningfully comment on

Welcome to flyertalk me ansum

Lovely to have you onboard.

With ref to the previous poster. I very much doubt the aircraft will be repainted into any livery other than what it's already in. What's the point ?

Am I correct in thinking that the voyager aircraft do not have additional tanks in the main cabin ? If so this aircraft could be fitted for "VIP" duties and also serve as an a2a refulling platform with no need to reconfigure the cabin ?

cs