FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK PM to get his own RAF transport?
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:41 am
alhenderson

Originally Posted by Calchas
There are plenty of creative ways for the saving to appear in the budget but actually still be borne by the taxpayer.

For instance they might assume that the RAF maintenance and crewing is going to be "free" or at significantly reduced cost because the RAF would have to do this anyway if the aircraft were left unconverted—but of course the RAF do not have infinite capability to absorb extra work and eventually someone will have to account for it.

It may even be an RAF idea so they have an excuse to buy some more aircraft after converting one or two or three for the PM and friends.
The RAF's fleet of Voyagers (A330s) are run on a PFI deal, owned and maintained by the AirTanker consortium and effectively leased to the RAF. So, there's probably an argument that says the maintenance of this a/c is already paid for within the terms of that contract - as AirTanker would be charging the MOD for it regardless of whether it sits on the ground, flies big wigs around, or refuels fighter jets.

Sounds to me like the RAF is actually going to be short of a tanker while its being used for such VIP missions - and I don't imagine the re-roling of it will be a 5 minute job either.

Al.

PS - finally, my first post on here having finally found something I can meaningfully comment on