FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW-AUH, DXB-LHR-DFW (with a diver to Iceland) in EY/BA F
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:32 am
shgroamer

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jtav559
What an adventure! The bit about passport control gave me a chuckle!

To answer your question about dumping fuel, airplanes are designed to take off at a much heavier weight than they land. Mainly due to the downward force the landing gear must handle on landing. For example, 777-300ER MTOW (Max TakeOff Weight) is 775,000lbs, while its MLW (Max Landing Weight) is 554,000lbs. That discrepancy is due to the fact that a full load of fuel for a 77W is ~48K US Gallons, at 6.8 lbs per gallon = roughly 325,000lbs.
Thanks! And appreciate the explanation, makes sense to me now, especially that we were only 3 hours or so into flight.

Originally Posted by wrp96
Iceland dosent have regularly scheduled widebody service. It's used to diverts but usually biggest flights are the Icelandair 757s.
Ah ok, I thought I saw something about WOW and a330's but I guess they're not in their possession yet. Still, you'd think they're outfitted to service a 777, at least refuel.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Enjoyed the report! Cool diversion.

Too bad it wasn't Greenland.
Thanks! Greenland would've been great. Probably the only time in my life I would get to see it is on a diversion. Not sure how often planes divert there though, considering how our pilots avoided it.