FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Steals $100K in Bling
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:29 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastport
There is contradictory advice given about valuables.

The TSA can arbitrarily stop items in a carry-on bag, and items have been stolen by TSA clerks during screening. When that happens. it's the traveler's fault for not putting the items in checked luggage. With no recourse or appeal.
I had a TSA screener that tried to steal a small pouch of jewelry from my wifes purse just as it exited xray. Had I not looked at just the right moment it would have been gone so I recognize the issues with valuables in both hand carried and checked luggage.

Checked luggage remains at the most risk. Not lock with any kind of a real lock, out of sight, TSA x-ray vision, and no custody control makes checked luggage an easy target.

I wouldn't be surprised if TSA screeners who operate the baggage x-ray systems don't have a means to put a marker on a bag with desired items so the baggage handlers will know which ones to target.

Given the proven track record of thieves in airports of TSA, airline, and contract employees everyone should be very careful with anything of value.

Even more amazing is that to the best of my knowledge not once has a TSA BDO identified an airport employee of any type of doing something questionable.

Must be a exceptional skill where they can focus only on suspect passengers and never an insider.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Nov 3, 2015 at 12:53 pm