Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Steals $100K in Bling

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
There's no way they could ever pin this on TSA clerks. If this is real, it will get caught up in the mutual finger-pointing between the airline and the TSA. Now, if the couple could produce the TSA baggage notice, that would be a different story. But, I can't imagine a TSA clerk or clerks stealing this stuff would ever put a baggage inspection notice inside anyway.
Sue both, let them point fingers at each other in court.

My five-minute analysis says insurance fraud. They would have to let the TSA and airline "investigations" finish, file claims with each that would be rejected, and then file an insurance claim (real or fraud). If they were looking for easy or fast money, it's not going to happen.
Yeah--I can't imagine why one would check a bag like that other than if it wasn't really there.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yandosan
http://nypost.com/2015/11/01/tsa-sto...-from-luggage/
A Manhattan couple claims TSA agents at JFK Airport lifted more than $95,000 worth of rings from their luggage.

Natalie and Michael Hekmat were booked on a February flight to Los Angeles when they checked their locked luggage with JetBlue at the curb, according to their lawsuit.

Inside her suitcase, Natalie Hekmat had packed nine rings into a brown suede jewelry roll, including an $80,000 2.10-carat diamond ring and several others from the Italian company Pomellato, including a $3,050 ring with brown diamonds; a $2,800 ring with black diamonds; and a $2,350 amethyst ring.

“Upon arrival at LAX, [they] immediately inspected their luggage,” according to court papers, and “found that the jewelry roll had been opened and all the property . . . was missing from the roll. The roll was not taken.”
What kind of idiots pack that kind of thing in luggage. As to their assertion about the TSA, there's more than just the TSA that handles baggage, so it's more than a little stupid to say that the TSA stole it.

Airlines occasionally straight up lose bags and it's not like they're going to give them $95k back.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ou81two
What kind of idiots pack that kind of thing in luggage. As to their assertion about the TSA, there's more than just the TSA that handles baggage, so it's more than a little stupid to say that the TSA stole it.

Airlines occasionally straight up lose bags and it's not like they're going to give them $95k back.
(bolding mine)

Baggage handlers 1) do not have xray vision and 2) are not permitted under any circumstances to open bags and remove contents.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

Baggage handlers 1) do not have xray vision and 2) are not permitted under any circumstances to open bags and remove contents.
Both are true, and neither means that they never steal:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/airport-luggage-theft/
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
(bolding mine)

That doesn't mean some of them dn't have wandering hands with sticky fingers...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

(bolding mine)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/airport-luggage-theft/

Any other poorly formed arguments you'd like to put forward? The logout button is on the top right of the screen.

I certainly hope this couple wasn't doing this as an insurance scam.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by ou81two
Any other poorly formed arguments you'd like to put forward? The logout button is on the top right of the screen.
Oh SNAP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.