FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Reserve "Heavy Spender" Questions (Maximize MQM from Personal & Business cards)
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:07 pm
yolandearagon

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Cut ties with Delta Amex Reserve Card

I have never been entirely happy with the Delta Reserve Card through Amex though it worked well enough for me until Delta made its major Skymiles changes in 2015. I fly only internationally, alone (for research), and only use the SkyClub in Boston -- which has nice people but poor amenities. So I never use companion tickets nor do I ever check luggage.

So I called today and spent about an hour with Amex representatives to figure out the best change since my anniversary was coming up and I was not willing to spend $450 for nothing I could use. I was never offered MQMs, miles, etc. -- but then I was speaking to Amex and they were very sympathetic.

It took some time (and I got no offers of promotions), but I did get the Platinum card for $195 with what SEEMS like benefits since I no longer feel any loyalty whatsoever to Delta. After decades of being Platinum or Platinum Elite Plus because I only travel internationally, I have seen my MQMs reduced to 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. Since my other credit cards (esp Barclay Platinum World Elite Arrival Card) give me 2 miles per dollar spent on EVERYTHING, plus travel back cash awards, it's a much better deal.

So I apparently will still have an Amex sort of Delta card but I do not want to reward Delta for their disloyalty to me. It's a two way street. I've always done Delta everything -- but 2015 was the wakeup call. No more.