Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta Reserve "Heavy Spender" Questions (Maximize MQM from Personal & Business cards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Reserve "Heavy Spender" Questions (Maximize MQM from Personal & Business cards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

Please help FT -

I have had SPG Personal and Business for several years and have enjoyed the combined benefits of 10 free nights, and have spent $1M on average per year recently, netting significant SPG points and have stayed in St Regis' all over the world for free and enjoyed Plat status.

Now I have recently moved to NYC and see a lot of Delta flights in my future. I have applied for the Delta Reserve card for Personal use and was accepted tonight for the card.

I am told that if I apply for the Delta Reserve for Business, I will get double the benefits, including 60k annual MQM. Is this correct? If so, how do I accomplish that? I DID apply for the Business card, but was asked to call them, and a nice Indian lady told me they could not approve two cards from the same family on the same day, but that I should call back in a week, cancel the application, and apply again for the business card, which I may receive at that time.

First question: is this the best way to get the business card? Will I get it, meaning that I'll have FOUR separate AMEX cards tied to my SSN?

Second question: how do I best accumulate MQM's if I just have one - and if I DO get both cards? .. What is the specific strategy to accumulate 60k MQM's? Having Gold Delta status would definitely be of benefit based on the way I fly.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To get 60,000 DL MQMs, you would need to do $60,000 per calendar year in qualified spend on each card. Each block of 15,000 MQMs (two max per card per year) amy be kept for yourself or gifted to another person with a DL FF account.

However, you might want to consider the Centurion card instead, which gives a number of statuses (stati???) in various airline and hotel programs.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To get 60,000 DL MQMs, you would need to do $60,000 per calendar year in qualified spend on each card. Each block of 15,000 MQMs (two max per card per year) amy be kept for yourself or gifted to another person with a DL FF account.

However, you might want to consider the Centurion card instead, which gives a number of statuses (stati???) in various airline and hotel programs.
The Centurion card looks like BS to me - $7500 "Initiation fee"? .. I'm not going to pay them for the benefit of using their card..

So are you saying $60,000 per card ($120k spend total), and that equates to 60,000 MQM's? .. Or is it $240k total spend for 60k total MQM's?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:41 am

"Earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $30,000 on purchases on your Delta Reserve Credit Card in a calendar year. Earn an additional 15,000 MQMs and an additional 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $60,000 on eligible purchases on your Delta Reserve Card in a calendar year."

So it's $60,000 for the 30,000 MQM on one card. If you got a personal and business, you'd have to spend twice that - $120k.

Alternatively, since you already have the Reserve card, you could apply for a personal or business Delta Platinum card, which gives 20,000 MQM after $50k spend for a much lower annual fee ($195 vs $450).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by nall
"Earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $30,000 on purchases on your Delta Reserve Credit Card in a calendar year. Earn an additional 15,000 MQMs and an additional 15,000 bonus miles after you spend $60,000 on eligible purchases on your Delta Reserve Card in a calendar year."

So it's $60,000 for the 30,000 MQM on one card. If you got a personal and business, you'd have to spend twice that - $120k.

Alternatively, since you already have the Reserve card, you could apply for a personal or business Delta Platinum card, which gives 20,000 MQM after $50k spend for a much lower annual fee ($195 vs $450).
Do these MQM qualify for MM status?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by lakid
Do these MQM qualify for MM status?
Yes
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Centurion is invite only; further more I believe only available to people who have American Express charge cards. OP stated both his are Credit.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:10 pm

I did apply Platinum personal and business on the same day and approved on the same day. I was able to get 20k MQM per card after$50k spending on each card.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:36 pm

I am very close to someone who got a Centurion via Amex credit card. The bigger problem is Amex is not clear on current requirements so the OP is better better off going with Amex Delta imho
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Cut ties with Delta Amex Reserve Card

I have never been entirely happy with the Delta Reserve Card through Amex though it worked well enough for me until Delta made its major Skymiles changes in 2015. I fly only internationally, alone (for research), and only use the SkyClub in Boston -- which has nice people but poor amenities. So I never use companion tickets nor do I ever check luggage.

So I called today and spent about an hour with Amex representatives to figure out the best change since my anniversary was coming up and I was not willing to spend $450 for nothing I could use. I was never offered MQMs, miles, etc. -- but then I was speaking to Amex and they were very sympathetic.

It took some time (and I got no offers of promotions), but I did get the Platinum card for $195 with what SEEMS like benefits since I no longer feel any loyalty whatsoever to Delta. After decades of being Platinum or Platinum Elite Plus because I only travel internationally, I have seen my MQMs reduced to 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. Since my other credit cards (esp Barclay Platinum World Elite Arrival Card) give me 2 miles per dollar spent on EVERYTHING, plus travel back cash awards, it's a much better deal.

So I apparently will still have an Amex sort of Delta card but I do not want to reward Delta for their disloyalty to me. It's a two way street. I've always done Delta everything -- but 2015 was the wakeup call. No more.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yolandearagon
....I did get the Platinum card for $195 with what SEEMS like benefits since I no longer feel any loyalty whatsoever to Delta.
That would be the Platinum Skymiles Credit Card. It's still a Delta co-branded card, but without the Skyclub lounge access benefit (and some other benefits):

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...cards/skymiles
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

Step by step guide for OP:

1. Apply both Personal Platinum and Business Platinum same day, one hard pull.
2. Spending 30k on each card earns 2x20k=40k MQM
3. Upgrade both card to Reserve after #2, no hard pull
4. Spending 60k on each Reserve card earns 2x30k=60k MQM
5. Apply both Personal Reserve and Business Reserve card same day for SO, one hard pull
6. Spending 60k on each SO's card earns 2x30k=60k MQM. Gift all SO's MQM into OP's account.

Total MQM: 160K.

If more family members or friends are willing to gift OP, in theory, OP could earn ~500K MQM in a year given over 1 Million spending capacity.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by spgbus

1. Apply both Personal Platinum and Business Platinum same day, one hard pull.
2. Spending 30k on each card earns 2x20k=40k MQM
Amex Delta Platinum and Biz Plat require 25K spend for the 10K MQMs. So 50K on each would equal the 40K MQMs.

Given the OP's spending I don't think either would be an issue.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yolandearagon
I have never been entirely happy with the Delta Reserve Card through Amex though it worked well enough for me until Delta made its major Skymiles changes in 2015. I fly only internationally, alone (for research), and only use the SkyClub in Boston -- which has nice people but poor amenities. So I never use companion tickets nor do I ever check luggage.

So I called today and spent about an hour with Amex representatives to figure out the best change since my anniversary was coming up and I was not willing to spend $450 for nothing I could use. I was never offered MQMs, miles, etc. -- but then I was speaking to Amex and they were very sympathetic.

It took some time (and I got no offers of promotions), but I did get the Platinum card for $195 with what SEEMS like benefits since I no longer feel any loyalty whatsoever to Delta. After decades of being Platinum or Platinum Elite Plus because I only travel internationally, I have seen my MQMs reduced to 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. Since my other credit cards (esp Barclay Platinum World Elite Arrival Card) give me 2 miles per dollar spent on EVERYTHING, plus travel back cash awards, it's a much better deal.

So I apparently will still have an Amex sort of Delta card but I do not want to reward Delta for their disloyalty to me. It's a two way street. I've always done Delta everything -- but 2015 was the wakeup call. No more.
Bolding mine: Why would your MQMs drop due to the 2015 SkyMiles changes, which only altered the way RDMs are earned? If your travel patterns in the past resulted in PM status, they should still result in PM status now, assuming you meet the MQD requirements.

Also, how did you end up with a Plat DL Amex without fully understanding the benefits you are purchasing for $195/year? By your own statements, you have no use for the checked bag or companion pass, and you don't seem to care about MQM anymore if you are no longer pursuing DL status. If you have no more interest in exclusively flying Delta - which sounds like a smart choice for your circumstances - then why keep a DL Amex at all?

This may be an opportunity as you say to switch to more program-agnostic CCs like Barclay Arrival, CSP, or Amex Plat Charge.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by spgbus
Step by step guide for OP:

5. Apply both Personal Reserve and Business Reserve card same day for SO, one hard pull
6. Spending 60k on each SO's card earns 2x30k=60k MQM. Gift all SO's MQM into OP's account.

sorry for the ignorance but what is SO ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.