FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:55 am
droidcore

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Just a fair warning to anyone wanting to stay at this property around this time....

My wife and I checked in on Monday, October 19 (2015) for our seventh anniverssary. We booked a Wonderful Room at €415.10/night for 3 nights and I applied 3 Suite Night Awards to the stay (which cleared) and was upgraded to a Marvelous Suite. We were quite excited and had looked forward to staying at this property for a long time, being W fans across the globe.

After a Transatlantic from ATL-CDG we opted for a quick afternoon nap. Woke up right after we laid down to these loud banging/chanting protests right in front of the front of the building (which every—so I'm told—suite faces). I'm told from @spgassist that the culprits are Luxe & Tradition, and that they are protesting several hotels around Paris (I haven't seen them anywhere else, yet). Angry, I went downstairs to investigate and was asked if I had been warned of this when we checked-in, like this was normal. Nope.

Went back upstairs and wife is in bad spirits and just needs some rest.

Went back downstairs and spoke with the manager who put us in a Cozy room for a couple hours (on the other side of the building). That was great of him and we really, really appreciated the offer and the sleep. Next morning, woke up to the same noise. Manager offered to refund our Suite Night Awards. Come back after a day out in Paris and there's a note saying they can't refund the SNA's, but offering Starpoints.

We'll see how this story pans out. I've got in touch with a couple buddies in the Starwood family working NYC/SF on the offer and how I should be treated as an "HVC." I will say the Starpoints offer they gave me was a bit lowball compared to what my associates in the 'States were suggesting.

Here's a video of the protests:

Stayer beware. Don't burn your SNA's here until you're sure this thing is over. Really wish we'd booked at the Prince de Galles.