FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:15 am
carlitos

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Unless that prepaid Amex account wasn't actually on your name...or unless you just used the unregistered temporary version of it...or unless who-knows-what-else.
1. RB not on your name: they can find you by finding the owner of the RB. It is not like I go around life giving someone else my SSN.
2. Temporary version: that is why Amex/Target limited the loads on the Temp card to $500 on first attempt before forcing you to give your SSN or someone else SSN in order to have it in their system. And they do have your Drivers License on file for that Temp Card.
3. Who-knows-what-else: if someone will use counterfeit GC s, they sure will be using them with signature and "Not PIN" in a store like GAP, in order to buy stuff that can be easily sold or turn into cash without leaving a trace (it is not like they always know your PIN). I know sometimes those places ask for ID to match, but that is the problem with GC s in the USA (they can be PIN or Signed for transactions), that it goes against the practice of asking for ID, but on the other hand, they might not have the PIN for the GC number they stole, which is why there is still a debate of why the USA did not introduce the real "Chip & PIN" system into credit and debit cards.

I personally do not think GC will go EMV. It will be to expensive for them. I think GC issuers will reduce the maximum amount to somewhere in the $200 range instead of having to go EMV and increase costs for a plastic that sometimes lasts no more than one or two swipes (we are the only ones using them on $500 denominations , I think)

On the other hand, RB is playing hard to get now that Target is having a tough time adjusting its EMV ready Point of Sale / Chip Machines. So as many have said, there might be small hope, but I am not feeling optimistic on this one.

Last edited by carlitos; Oct 13, 2015 at 8:21 am