FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:02 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
In hindsight, EK should have hired JLaw in a positive ad campaign. Being young, hot and current, she will attract more backpackers looking for cheap tickets.
What kind of market do you think EK is looking for? I'll give you a hint, it isn't backpackers looking for cheap tickets. As a millennial myself, one who grew up during the Friends era, Jennifer Aniston is considerably more attractive and relatable to me than Jennifer Lawrence. The additional thing is that far more Gen-X individuals can also relate to JA as opposed to JL. I also have a number of international friends and family, and it's amazing how the Friends series is globally recognized and quotable across so many different cultures. A few of my friends were actually able to learn decent amounts of the English language watching sitcoms such as Friends, The Office, etc.

I think you've completely missed the demographic EK is looking for here.

Originally Posted by nk15
I agree, it was a negative ad focusing on other airlines, instead of highlighting EK's product. I didn't feel I wanted to try the product. EY's Nicole Kidman ad and even Korean Air's "it's all about you" ad are superior.
I don't find it negative at all. For anyone who's ever had to endure a US airline on a flight longer than two hours, it's very accurate and familiar. Surly crews, poor catering, drab/ancient cabins, etc. Is there exaggerated staging for the purpose of advertising? Of course, I challenge you to find me an ad that doesn't have that. The only negative thing here is an accurate portrayal of US airline cabin.