FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:01 pm
jamienbaker

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Pardon all the newbie questions...

So, I booked MRUJFK with a nine hr DXB connection, for 4 in J, on a date in August I have no intent to fly. I'm willing to ignore AS fees inside of 60 days.

Will I be able to:

1) Change departure date if availability exists on both legs? (Yes)
2) Extend or reduce DXB layover if availability exists on different DXBJFK but not on my initial MRUDXB?
3) Upgrade both legs to F if availability exists? (Yes)
4) Upgrade only one leg to F if other leg is completely sold out for awards in any class (even though I'm ticketed in J)?
5) Change MRUDXB to something else (JNB?) if availability exists but does NOT exist on the DXBJFK I'm already ticketed on? (Sounds like answer is no).

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Well, I was disappointed nobody replied, so I did my own research. I'm sure that others will disagree, but I'm finding AS awards on EK to be one of the worst redemptions out there relative to other FF partner situations.

1) Rampant phantom availability on AS site.
2) Inability to reticket individual segments without jettisoning the entire itinerary and starting over.

Answers to 2/4/5 above are NO. I'm curious what other partner awards are equally as restrictive? I've never come across the inability to reticket individual segments or on any airline, though I can't claim to have flown them all.

Deeply disappointed at the SPG currency I wasted - Jamie