FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:26 pm
Four_Leaf_Clovers

Questions from a newbie

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the mileage reward program (we got the Mileage Explorer Card) and really have no idea what I'm doing haha. I have some questions. Thanks in advance for any guidance ya'll can give me.

Some things to consider in helping answer questions:
-I currently have 58,000 miles.
-My husband, son, little sister and myself are planning a trip to Grand Cayman next Summer and would like to use what reward miles toward our flight.
-For example purposes, I plugged June 4th-June 9th into United, round trip for 4 people.

Like mentioned, we have 58,000 reward miles which of course will not cover all 4 of our round trip flights...I don't even think it will cover 1 round trip flight. When I plug in the above dates and click on "Search for Award Travel" it shows 37,500 miles for each person, each way.

Am I doing that correctly??
So how does that work? Can we make 1 reservation with all 4 tickets and apply what miles we have toward the price? Or would we have to make separate reservations (1 reservation for which tickets our mileage rewards would cover and a separate reservation for what isn't covered?)

I'm so confused.