FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:05 am
Rivarix

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Hmm, does anyone know if this is it or can we expect more changes in the near future?

Maybe I misunderstood the whole discussion about changes to reflect members’ revenue contribution, bla bla bla but I was under the impression that the changes are supposed to improve a J/F passenger earning not just for TP purposes but also for redemption purposes and yet as it is made clear above, the miles you earn (for redemption purposes) stay the same.

So a CX DM flying J will still earn 125% miles. How is this an improvement? I still have to figure out the value of those 4 SWU-like coupons but with no changes on AM earning/redemption rules, I think a J/F passenger is still better off flying other OW airlines (generally speaking their J fares are cheaper than CX to/from US), credit to AA (who currently has better earning/redemption ratio) and only fly CX using those miles and not cash because there are no changes to CX AM earning/redemption - they are as poor as before. Am I missing something here?

Btw, did anyone do a pro-forma calculation of their prior-years earning to see how they come out under the new rules vs. old rules? I just did mine for the past two years and ... there were no changes. I came in the 130k range under the old rules vs. 1300TP range under the new rules. The additional TP I get from flying CX J is offset by reduction of TP I get from flying AA domestic flights. So it's all about nothing for me on the miles front - Club and AM. Oh well.

Last edited by Rivarix; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:33 am