FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 777 New Cabins - Deployment Schedule
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:04 am
mattp1987

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by LY777
You want to make 2 connections just to have flat beds??
I would at least consider it.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I was thinking the same thing. Each connection introduces the chance that you won't make that connection, with follow-on impact to the last flight. And AF's older Business seats aren't bad, and have a hard shell so no one can recline into you (unlike Delta's old recliners). The only drawback is if you were stuck in a middle seat in the 2x3x2 configuration.
I've generally found routings that allow 4-ish hour connections, so my greater concern is cutting into vacation time. I'm glad to hear that take on the old seats; I've read some horrendous things online about them. I'm not concerned about getting middle seats 11 months out. Plus, I'm flying with my father on a trip I'm booking for his birthday, so sitting together in the 2 seats outside shouldn't be too bad.

Originally Posted by brunos
We are talking Sep 2016, so a lot of things can change in the next year.
Personally, I add one connection to avoid NEV seats on very longhaul.

But there should be several other options that do not force you to an additional connection. Like flying through ATL (or possible through AMS).
I think I'm going to go with the AF flights assuming they're available when booking opens up in a few weeks. On this quick overnight flight I'd rather get to the destination sooner, and it sounds like getting some sleep on NEV is possible. I have no hope of finding 2 seats in J on ATL-MUC during Oktoberfest, and IAD-AMS is pretty bare as well. I could route through DTW or MSP or start in RIC or DCA or BWI, but those would all require a second connection as well, so I'd just take the VS flight in that case.

Thanks all!