FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:05 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Are we just throwing out random slurs now, trying to show how negative we can be? (Of course we are; this is FT.)

It's not "dinner." It's simply a low-end version of, say, the spread you might see on the club level of a hotel. While a small segment may believe it's worse than the pre-packaged cheese and carrots that preceded it, the majority disagree with that assessment.

Not saying there isn't always room for improvement -- I for one would like to see some sweets besides Skittles and brownie dust -- but the endless hyperbole is unhelpful.
You miss the point of FT - which is to slam the travel providers for all real and perceived deficiencies But seriously, this is not a "low end" spread - it's worse than any hotel lounge offering and worse than every business lounge I've visited in the world - except for DL and AA (shocker) It's simply awful and they can't even do a decent job of restocking. I'd gladly take back the old spread (c- 3 years ago)

Originally Posted by JBord
I don't think the intent was ever to provide enough for a sandwich. It's supposed to be a few small bites while you're waiting for your flight.
And there's the rub. If you visit an LH business lounge at FRA or MUC (the equivalent of IAH, SFO, etc.) or a QF lounge in Australia, you would find enough food for a meal. Because the whole point of the lounge (for me anyway) is to grab something in between connecting flights without worrying about somebody snatching my parked luggage when I get a drink refill. UA/AA/DL lounges are all equally worthless in this regard, though at least AA offers a few meal choices for $$.

How about this? Instead of measuring itself against mediocre domestic lounges, UA should up its game and try to match the international competition? @:-)

Originally Posted by porciuscato
^^
If you've read my posts you know I'm harder on UAL than most anyone.

But I will concede that the new offering is a huge improvement. It's not quite to the level of LH's Senator lounges, but it's pretty close. The couscous and soup are actually quite decent. And the fresh berries in the morning are also quite nice. I don't expect UAL or anyone else to provide a complete meal for a regular club.
You cannot be serious. UA is not even in the same league as any LH lounge (business or Senator). The cous cous is edible but does not make for a meal. Soup is worthless to many of us, and not particularly attractive in hot, humid climes like IAH and ORD in summer. LH has a huge spread of cheese, meats and bread that is continuously restocked. And huge fresh pretzels. And pour-your-own beir, soft drinks, etc. And a choice of salads.

I don't expect UA to provide a complete meal either (my expectations for UA are pretty low for everything) but let's not put lipstick on a pig.