FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South {US-NY}
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:01 am
jcresq

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
This has become my "go to" near Penn Station relatively inexpensive hotel. There are many Hilton properties in the area and I'd always shied away from this one because it often is much less expensive than the others (and my experience is when a hotel is much cheaper than the alternatives there's a reason). If there's a reason for this one being cheaper, it's the neighborhood...not a very nice block. The physical plant is pretty much the same as the other comparable hotels...narrow building, cramped halls, tiny rooms, small restaurant, slow elevators. You learn to live with that in NYC unless you're willing to pay more. But I've stayed here twice in the past couple months, and found it to be completely delightful. The primary reason is the staff...every single person I encountered went out of his or her way to be nice and to be helpful. You can't walk through the lobby without someone greeting you and asking if they can do anything for you. Pretty unusual anywhere, but in Manhattan it's shocking! And they actually are helplful...I had some difficulty connecting my laptop to the HDMI port on the TV, I called the front desk, the engineer came up promptly, and he removed the tv from the wall and plugged in the cord! A few minutes later I got a call asking if I was satisfied, a few minutes after that, someone else arrived at my door with some extra water bottles. It's not the Millenium or the Conrad to be sure...but for lowish rate basic hotels in NY, this is my choice.