FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ANA NRT-IAD-NRT First Class 96,200 Guest Miles and $230 [now expired]
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:38 pm
SuiteFlight

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by a310pilot
Do share the outcome. As I was holding off booking till I had enough for return trip in November but I think it's looking far fetched now.
Well, as I still hadn't got any call back, I went for attempt #2 and cold called again. Got a bit further this time, although not without some gaffes, and ultimately the same result (nowhere).

So no mention of a special team this time, operator was unfamiliar with process but clearly was able to follow some sort of cue card system. Mentioned I wanted to redeem a partner award on ANA, for First Class. He then began with collecting Etihad Guest details and doing verification stuff. After that he said so American Airlines booking. I said no ANA - had to use full name (All Nippon Airways) before we sort of got out of that hole. He then said so Economy booking, I say no First thanks (another hole climbed out of). I then gave date and flight details. He then started looking up stuff on the cue cards, sort of mumbling it back to me as he went along. He was saying right stuff like Fare Class O etc, etc and I was growing in confidence (I even got my credit card ready!) and clearly could see the flights, and the award bucket, but then we hit a massive brick wall.

"My system says there is no availability" he says. This immediately made me recall this thread's OP and how he found you have to ask them to manually request these award seats in order to get this done (as Etihad cannot do this on their system at the moment, they can only do this for award seats on themselves and I think a small number of the Etihad direct partner airlines that they own part of). This was attempted but it ended up going in circles twice and rather get everyone's backs up I felt it best just to leave it there and try again later.

:-: NOW THE GOOD NEWS :-: - ok, so it wasn't within the 10-15 mins call back stated (by any measure, as it was pretty much half a day call back), but just as I was finishing writing this post my mobile rang and it was the promised callback from Etihad (even if they failed on timings). Long story short, they got the job done and I'm now on SIN-NRT-SIN all in ANA's 777-300ER First for 46,200 Etihad miles (confirmed by checking my Guest balance) and SGD180.70. Awesome^

Even got my confirmation email within seconds of hanging up (guy sounded a bit upset I asked for Booking Ref while on the phone, but better safe than sorry - emails do sometimes get lost in the ether). Thanked the guy greatly before hanging up, and wished him a great day, as honestly was not feeling all that lucky still until it was clearly confirmed as done.

So I guess the moral is hope they do refer you to the special team (as they can get it done), just take any timings given for call back with a bag of salt (I'd say if you haven't heard back within 24 hours, try again).