Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

ANA NRT-IAD-NRT First Class 96,200 Guest Miles and $230 [now expired]

ANA NRT-IAD-NRT First Class 96,200 Guest Miles and $230 [now expired]

Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
No way to get to airline redemption table without the link you posted so I believe Etihad is onto it. LOL (unless I'm doing something wrong)

The only other ANA table that comes using google search is

http://cms.prod.etihadairways.com/si...bleforANA.aspx
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by a310pilot
No way to get to airline redemption table without the link you posted so I believe Etihad is onto it. LOL (unless I'm doing something wrong)

The only other ANA table that comes using google search is

http://cms.prod.etihadairways.com/si...bleforANA.aspx
It can still be accessed directly from Etihad's website - no change here. Hesitant to even post about this since this is such a great deal.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Maybe Etihad are trying to enhance this away already... Phoned up the Etihad Guest call centre to make an ANA redemption, operator said that he would have to take my details (membership number, flights requested, etc) as a "special team" where now dealing with these ANA bookings, and that they would call me back in 10-15 minutes max to finalise.

That was four hours ago, and I've been sitting by my phone since that first call finished (no calls received). Will give it a few more hours before calling up again, but needless to say they've left the distinct impression I've just been fobbed off.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 pm

Do share the outcome. As I was holding off booking till I had enough for return trip in November but I think it's looking far fetched now.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Do share the outcome. As I was holding off booking till I had enough for return trip in November but I think it's looking far fetched now.
Well, as I still hadn't got any call back, I went for attempt #2 and cold called again. Got a bit further this time, although not without some gaffes, and ultimately the same result (nowhere).

So no mention of a special team this time, operator was unfamiliar with process but clearly was able to follow some sort of cue card system. Mentioned I wanted to redeem a partner award on ANA, for First Class. He then began with collecting Etihad Guest details and doing verification stuff. After that he said so American Airlines booking. I said no ANA - had to use full name (All Nippon Airways) before we sort of got out of that hole. He then said so Economy booking, I say no First thanks (another hole climbed out of). I then gave date and flight details. He then started looking up stuff on the cue cards, sort of mumbling it back to me as he went along. He was saying right stuff like Fare Class O etc, etc and I was growing in confidence (I even got my credit card ready!) and clearly could see the flights, and the award bucket, but then we hit a massive brick wall.

"My system says there is no availability" he says. This immediately made me recall this thread's OP and how he found you have to ask them to manually request these award seats in order to get this done (as Etihad cannot do this on their system at the moment, they can only do this for award seats on themselves and I think a small number of the Etihad direct partner airlines that they own part of). This was attempted but it ended up going in circles twice and rather get everyone's backs up I felt it best just to leave it there and try again later.

:-: NOW THE GOOD NEWS :-: - ok, so it wasn't within the 10-15 mins call back stated (by any measure, as it was pretty much half a day call back), but just as I was finishing writing this post my mobile rang and it was the promised callback from Etihad (even if they failed on timings). Long story short, they got the job done and I'm now on SIN-NRT-SIN all in ANA's 777-300ER First for 46,200 Etihad miles (confirmed by checking my Guest balance) and SGD180.70. Awesome^

Even got my confirmation email within seconds of hanging up (guy sounded a bit upset I asked for Booking Ref while on the phone, but better safe than sorry - emails do sometimes get lost in the ether). Thanked the guy greatly before hanging up, and wished him a great day, as honestly was not feeling all that lucky still until it was clearly confirmed as done.

So I guess the moral is hope they do refer you to the special team (as they can get it done), just take any timings given for call back with a bag of salt (I'd say if you haven't heard back within 24 hours, try again).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:20 am

Oh wow you did it !. Was it same amount of miles as the table on the website?

What dates are these for?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:35 am

Oh wow you did it !. Was it same amount of miles as the table on the website? What dates are these for?
Yes, miles deducted as per the table (23,100 each way). I booked a weekend away in Jan 2016. I've not flown ANA before and SIN-NRT-SIN is the right length (about 7 hours each way) to experience the service, without being too long (you don't want to find out it's not your thing on 12hr+ flights lol).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SuiteFlight
Yes, miles deducted as per the table (23,100 each way). I booked a weekend away in Jan 2016. I've not flown ANA before and SIN-NRT-SIN is the right length (about 7 hours each way) to experience the service, without being too long (you don't want to find out it's not your thing on 12hr+ flights lol).
Yeah true. From the youtube videos it looks like typical Japanese style (contemporary) which is not bad but in F one prefers plush soft edges to finish. Overall I think it will be a good experience and you can't go wrong with F class for that many points.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:12 pm

This thread has made me very jealous and slightly gutted that I didn't know about this before. We're flying BA F to Tokyo on Monday and I'd love to cancel and fly with ANA, but I've left it too late now due to the 14 advanced notice required. There's even flights available on Monday. Oh, the shame of it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
This thread has made me very jealous and slightly gutted that I didn't know about this before. We're flying BA F to Tokyo on Monday and I'd love to cancel and fly with ANA, but I've left it too late now due to the 14 advanced notice required. There's even flights available on Monday. Oh, the shame of it.
Doesn't hurt to try. Like I mentioned earlier, I've successfully made a booking within the 14 day requirement on ANA.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have been working on a reservation for a couple of weeks now. I was short about 2k miles for LAX-HND-LAX and so have been waiting for an SPG transfer. I finally have given up on the transfer (it said 2-4 days) and am just going to do SFO-NRT-SFO, which I have the miles for now.

My experience mimics what SuiteFlight reports, there are only a couple of people at EY Guest who know how to do this and if you get one of those people then (a) it's easy and (b) availability maps exactly to what UA shows on its site.

Because I didnt have enough miles, the helpful person (in Manchester call center) gave me his contact info and told me to email back when the miles had transferred. He created an ANA reservation for the LAX-HND-LAX flights we wanted and said it would only remain active for 12 hours. In reality it was live for over 3 days before ANA cancelled it. The space went right back and I can now see that on UA.com again. But as I said, now we are moving to just grab some acceptable dates on SFO-NRT-SFO because we have a small window of acceptable dates. He has been super responsive as I've gone back and forth on what to do, the delay on the miles, etc. Quite a pleasure actually compared to some EY interactions I have had. I got the ticketing confirmation for SFO-NRT-SFO and oddly, taxes were more than what OP reported, for IAD, $264.70 per person.

One of the best part about this award is where the miles came from, nothing like a family account and 5 pax on CMB-AUH-JFK-LAX-DFW F to accrue some miles... that CMB-DFW F fare is apparently a gift that keeps on giving.

As an aside, people may want to clean up some of their posts in here and make it more of a "how to" for redeeming on ANA (even a thread title change?). We'll all be better off in the end I think...

Last edited by stephem; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of Them
Glad some folks are having some success on the ANA redemptions. Another side note, don't forget about your free date changes if that becomes necessary. I booked mine with the intention of taking advantage and just did. Took some effort like everything else, but got it done. Now the perfect dates for the perfect redemption.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by im.daniel
Doesn't hurt to try. Like I mentioned earlier, I've successfully made a booking within the 14 day requirement on ANA.
I did try and phone Etihad, yet I was told the ticket had to be booked 7 days in advance and it had to be a return flight. I was hoping to just do a 1 way to Tokyo and then keep our BA ticket to come back, as there were no return dates available during the week we wanted to return.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:10 am

For the benefit of others, I thought it'd help to restate and consolidate some rules people have identified (Richklhs and others) about ANA award booking via Etihad Guest.

* Availability can be checked via United's Mileage Plus award booking engine
* Must be round trip booking, no one-way bookings
* No open-jaw (must arrive at, and depart from, the same airports)
* Booking required to be 14 days prior to travel (may be flex here)
* Must hold points required in order to finalise booking
* Taxes and Surchages paid in currency of first city of departure
* One free change allowed
* Points forfeited if no show
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks SuiteFlight!
One other helpful hint, the agent that can issue these are hard to find so once you get one, ask for their email and phone contact so you can get back directly to them if you need to make changes or book additional tickets. I feel like I have my own ANA booking expert now, and am contemplating sending some more SPG points over for another set of ANA F award tickets ;-). Not sure I want to wait until the miles from our Dec2015 AUH -LHR F flights post (and 3x promo miles are chased down) to have enough miles to book again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.