FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TK Fare Sale: USA-Europe/Middle East/North Africa
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:04 am
tmj143

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
While I appreciate your post, can't agree with your recommendation.

I spent a week in IST in 2013. While its interesting (& the TK lounge is unbelievable), its not ready for prime time IMO.

Moreover, since then, its become a more risky place to visit. The emergence of ISIS, the crackdown on the PKK and Erdogan's politics are all factors. This month, Homeland Security asked us to explain our TK visas....reason enough to avoid IST for now!
Single female in her 20s here, went to Istanbul a year ago for a week and then was there again for overnight TK layovers a couple of months ago. I completely disagree with your assessment, and thought it was an absolutely fantastic city, and one of my absolute favorites in the world. I had no issues with regard to safety, and walked everywhere by myself; the shadiest thing that happened was guys getting possibly a bit too close on the metro. Though there were about a dozen DHS agents at my gate at LAX who stopped to question me on my last trip, since I fit the approximate demographic for an ISIS bride.

However, I don't think this post belongs in MR, and instead in good deals for economy class. As a TK frequent flyer now (post United reform), I can tell you that these fares are going to be 50% redemption at best, even for TK Miles & Smiles members. Unfortunately, they don't show you the fare codes until after making a reservation (though you can hold off on paying for 3 days), and the ITA ones aren't always consistent.