Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

TK Fare Sale: USA-Europe/Middle East/North Africa

Old Aug 27, 15, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I had another post about SFO to Europe on Turkish Air, but now I am realizing that they are having a big fare sale from everywhere in the USA, if you fly through mid March. Economy flights only, ranging from $600-$750, as long as you are routed through IST. You also have a free stopover each way. They really want you to see IST if possible

Some of these routes are W fare though, so no miles on United. But play around with it and see what you can get, or upgrade to.

Just check out this site, and change the origin in top right drop down:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...&class=economy

Some sample fares from both coasts:

NYC- Amsterdam, Barcelona, Lisbon, Budapest, Naples, Paris, Rome - $600 RT
There are also a bunch of other good fares to many other places from NYC. I just don't want to list them all, there are like 30.

Even better fare rates from the West Coast:

SFO - Budapest, Cairo- $700 RT
SFO - Most other European cities, North African cities, and India - $750 RT

P.S. On a personal note, I was in Istanbul this past April and it exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it, if you have a chance to stopover.
Old Aug 27, 15, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
visit IST - not

Originally Posted by msiegel67 View Post
P.S. On a personal note, I was in Istanbul this past April and it exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it, if you have a chance to stopover.
While I appreciate your post, can't agree with your recommendation.

I spent a week in IST in 2013. While its interesting (& the TK lounge is unbelievable), its not ready for prime time IMO.

Moreover, since then, its become a more risky place to visit. The emergence of ISIS, the crackdown on the PKK and Erdogan's politics are all factors. This month, Homeland Security asked us to explain our TK visas....reason enough to avoid IST for now!
Old Aug 27, 15, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post

I spent a week in IST in 2013. While its interesting (& the TK lounge is unbelievable), its not ready for prime time IMO.

Moreover, since then, its become a more risky place to visit. The emergence of ISIS, the crackdown on the PKK and Erdogan's politics are all factors. This month, Homeland Security asked us to explain our TK visas....reason enough to avoid IST for now!
I've been to iStanbul several times, and most recently in April of 2014 and my wife and I brought our (at the time) 18 month old daughter. We've always had a blast and a great time, and with our daughter was no exception. The Turks really care and enjoy having kids around and went out of their way to be nice, give us free things (for her) and were very hospitable everywhere to accomodate us/her.

The city IS a great mix of East and West, Old and New and Religions, and I'd recommend anyone to visit the city.

On a security front, I've never had issues with anything there and I've never had anyone (I've got more than a TS) from my or our agency's security teams say anything about travel to Turkey...

That said, thanks to the OP for this post - I would have never known this exists, and my wife & now 2 kids are going to book one of these trips...I'll investigate more over the coming days, but I already noticed that you can combine the trips and do a DOJ (no FDs or anything), but I'm trying to work a nice long trip and visit a few cities for cheap - plus avoid the late night IAD flight (when did they move this flight to an after midnight departure!?!)
Old Aug 27, 15, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Great! Once you're all booked with your DOJ, post what you got here so we can see a potential for ourselves. I'm curious to see what we can milk out of this route deal.

As for the flight times, they are really weird in and out of IST from many different cities. I was looking at a TLV flight at random and saw they have a flight that leaves at 1am and gets into IST at 3am. Very weird route time.
Old Aug 27, 15, 10:20 pm

Great! Once you're all booked with your DOJ, post what you got here so we can see a potential for ourselves. I'm curious to see what we can milk out of this route deal.

As for the flight times, they are really weird in and out of IST from many different cities. I was looking at a TLV flight at random and saw they have a flight that leaves at 1am and gets into IST at 3am. Very weird route time.
A LOT of the departures from IST leave very late/early (as do the flights to/from AUH/DOH/DXB,etc); In fact, the IST lounge (ridiculously awesome) is super busy in that late evening time.

I'm considering a DOJ (and a more painful trip, in entirety) to strictly avoid the flight TO IST being so late from IAD (the departure is 00h20), since I'll have two kids and getting them to the airport and awake enough to go through security/etc would really interfere with the local time...i'm considering going up the day before to JFK, since they have three departures and two of them are at 'normal' times, but if I did that, i'd still return to IAD, and I'd still like to 'maximise' the trip, so I was looking at something like JFK-LIS and then a return from MAD-IST, spending a few days in iStanbul and then IST-IAD...all of that is pricing out for me just fine on Orbitz right now. I'll weigh my options, figure something out and then post my route on here to give some ideas of options!

Thanks again OP for the initial deal - this is a great offer for an amazing airline!
Old Aug 27, 15, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

IST-BCN leaves at like 10pm and arrives at 12:30, totally odd I agree
Old Aug 28, 15, 4:04 am

Programs: TK *G

Single female in her 20s here, went to Istanbul a year ago for a week and then was there again for overnight TK layovers a couple of months ago. I completely disagree with your assessment, and thought it was an absolutely fantastic city, and one of my absolute favorites in the world. I had no issues with regard to safety, and walked everywhere by myself; the shadiest thing that happened was guys getting possibly a bit too close on the metro. Though there were about a dozen DHS agents at my gate at LAX who stopped to question me on my last trip, since I fit the approximate demographic for an ISIS bride.

However, I don't think this post belongs in MR, and instead in good deals for economy class. As a TK frequent flyer now (post United reform), I can tell you that these fares are going to be 50% redemption at best, even for TK Miles & Smiles members. Unfortunately, they don't show you the fare codes until after making a reservation (though you can hold off on paying for 3 days), and the ITA ones aren't always consistent.
Old Aug 28, 15, 6:49 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E

Quite simply the dumbest advice I've heard on here in a long time. IST's only faults are its crappy airport and its insane traffic. Other than that it is a fascinating city with plenty to do. Thankfully others have also noted how misguided this poster is.
Old Aug 28, 15, 8:49 am

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by kmfdm91 View Post
I've been to iStanbul several times, and most recently in April of 2014 and my wife and I brought our (at the time) 18 month old daughter. We've always had a blast and a great time, and with our daughter was no exception. The Turks really care and enjoy having kids around and went out of their way to be nice, give us free things (for her) and were very hospitable everywhere to accomodate us/her.

The city IS a great mix of East and West, Old and New and Religions, and I'd recommend anyone to visit the city.

On a security front, I've never had issues with anything there and I've never had anyone (I've got more than a TS) from my or our agency's security teams say anything about travel to Turkey...

That said, thanks to the OP for this post - I would have never known this exists, and my wife & now 2 kids are going to book one of these trips...I'll investigate more over the coming days, but I already noticed that you can combine the trips and do a DOJ (no FDs or anything), but I'm trying to work a nice long trip and visit a few cities for cheap - plus avoid the late night IAD flight (when did they move this flight to an after midnight departure!?!)
One of the world's great cities. And Turks defintely are great with kids. Friends of ours were apprehensive about going, hearing misleading information in the media, and we encouraged them to go with their two kids. They were also apprehensive in that they are white and one of their kids is adopted from East Asia. They had a great time and can't wait to go back.
Old Aug 30, 15, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
One of the world's great cities. And Turks defintely are great with kids. Friends of ours were apprehensive about going, hearing misleading information in the media, and we encouraged them to go with their two kids. They were also apprehensive in that they are white and one of their kids is adopted from East Asia. They had a great time and can't wait to go back.
So, we booked our flights under this promo tonight...surprisingly on Orbitz, the flights were cheaper to book than on Turkish's (THY) own site, plus we qualified for a bunch of 'orbucks' (I have no clue what they are, but i'll do some research).

DOJ for us, since it made the most sense and got us to see a few new places for the same cost, and allowed us to get some preferred times for the flights:

JFK-IST-VIE (on the 14h00 flight instead of the other east coast flights that leave around midnight)
BUD-IST (arriving at noon)
IST-IAD (the following day, leaving at 13h00, giving us just over 25 hours in iStanbul)

US$650,40 each, with 3 tickets and an infant ticket - cheap and great, all during the East Coast (maybe the whole of America?) Spring Break from school...

Good Luck to all, and for folks wanting to do a single Open Jaw or double, keep in mind that you can route this through IST both ways for a bunch of different places you could see on the cheap!

-jeremy
Old Aug 31, 15, 7:27 am

Old Aug 31, 15, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Moreover, since then, its become a more risky place to visit.
You mean like Chicago, Detroit or Baltimore?
Old Aug 31, 15, 10:16 am
Original Poster

@ Jeremy - What were your dates? I'm looking at March right now and from SFO it went up to $850 from $750. I wonder if I can still get into Europe in March for $750 or less?
Old Sep 8, 15, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Grabbed $649 RT IAH-IST 2/9 - 2/15
Old Sep 8, 15, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT

No just no....IST is a fantastic city that really needs to be seen!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: