FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion about the ex-Germany fares
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:56 am
paulieuk

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by MillionMileMarker
Called Amex to block the payment as my statement day is today and I don't want to be out of pocket.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just to note that you won't be out of pocket so long as 1) you're not running a balance on the credit card and 2) the refund hits before the payment due date. It'll just look like you're making a payment early.
I don't believe that's right, and that disputing the charge with Amex is the correct thing to be doing when the statement will be generated before the refund.

Amex confirmed to me that if the charge is included in the statement and a refund subsequently comes through, their system will still expect me to pay the original statement amount in full by the due date. Should I be in credit as a result then I can request that be paid to my bank account. But what a faff, not to mention potential cashflow issues (in my case because I've now booked and paid for alternative flights), when disputing the transaction will avoid it.

I've no qualms disputing the charge, as they've taken money for goods/services they are not going to provide and they did so without informing me of the fact for several days. Indeed, I've only had the 'sorry' email and not yet the notification of refund (unless that's because their system knows it is being disputed, but do we really think they're that good?!).

Last edited by paulieuk; Aug 25, 2015 at 3:12 am