FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:31 am
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by barnetda
Fair comments.

In fact there was another attempt which fortunatly exploded underwater the following day in another tourist spot in Bangkok.

Just out of interest (i am not trying to be argumentative at all , believe me i am really interested in your view) why would AA implement a cancellation policy following the Boston tragedy but not in this case. As you say how do you differentiate ?
It's actually pretty easy and simple. AA offered a travel waiver for Boston for changes, not cancellations.

AMERICAN AIRLINES: Travelers can change their flights without penalty (for one ticket change) for those originally scheduled between April 15-17, with tickets issued no later than April 15. Flights may be changed to any time between April 16-20. Call: 1-800-433-7300.
Thailand has been boiling for a while (decades), but most recently dating back to the military coup d'etat in May 2014. While terrorism is nothing to joke about or to minimize, cases like this and Boston are usually the work of a single lone wolf individual or group, and not part of a larger campaign.

The same reason why I and many people didnt cancel flights to Boston after that bombing, is the same reason why I wouldnt cancel in Bangkok (and expect airlines to swallow the lost revenue).