FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:25 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by barnetda
I understand thanks. I know we cant make the trip in the next 6 months so i thought best to restock. Thanks for the advice though.

I guess i just felt naively that due to the circumstances the fee would be waived.

My son was flying to meet us from Sydney with Qantas and they offered all passengers free cancelation or changes.
There was a bombing with an IED in a rucksack in Bangkok (and a smaller one at a pier). There were two explosions caused by IEDs in Boston. Etc. etc. we make our choices about actual and perceived risk.

AA declined to put a policy up allowing passengers to cancel travel to BKK. Or to BOS, possibly, or others. In view of that, you choose to cancel.

If you'd moved your bookings out, you potentially might have made the flights. Or, a schedule change in the interim might have allowed you to cancel without paying a redeposit fee.

As to whether or not you should pay the fee, would you be able to acquire a similar number of miles for anything remotely close to $150? If you've made the decision to cancel, that's the relevant question.