FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodwill Starpoints for my time?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:31 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
Would a goodwill gesture of Starpoints for my time have been reasonable?

Scenario: I'm signed up for the 5 nights = 1 free wknd night promo. Last week, I had a 4 night stay at a Sheraton. A week prior to that, I had a one night stay at a Sheraton, the rest of the week was at another SPG brand.

As I had completed the 5-nights last Friday, I called in to see how long it takes to get the promo night, and to see how early I could begin booking. (I'm booking an Oct trip and want to get the hotels squared away.)

BUT, when the rep looked up my account, she only showed 4 sheraton nights. The one night sheraton stay from 2 weeks prior never registered! (despite my SPG number being in the system/on folio/etc).

It took 45 minutes with me on the call for her to figure out why it didn't register, and to manually credit the stay. At the end of the call, I politely asked if customer service would consider a goodwill gesture for my time on the phone. (was able to multitask and work, but not at 100% efficiency)

The agent said she didn't see any justification for goodwill because "the stay has been credited," or something to that effect. I'm 99% sure that if I hadn't called to inquire and try to book early, the unregistered stay would have never been credited. I have multiple Sheraton stays coming up, so I'll hit the max of 3 free promo nights; I may have never noticed the missed stay.

In past dealings with other businesses, when I've had to go out of my way to resolve an issue due to a merchant problem, I'm usually offered something for the trouble. Or, I'll politely suggest if they think compensation is due, and they'll happily offer something. (most recent: paid for full-size car, lot only had mid-size. Called in to be credited difference - representative offered addn'l $30 for the trouble )
Reading that took me three minutes. How many star points do I get from your end? You could have checked your account yourself, could have asked Awardwallet to do it and then filed a web form in one minute. Stealing 45 minutes for such exercise is amazing