Goodwill Starpoints for my time?

Old Aug 17, 15, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Goodwill Starpoints for my time?

Would a goodwill gesture of Starpoints for my time have been reasonable?

Scenario: I'm signed up for the 5 nights = 1 free wknd night promo. Last week, I had a 4 night stay at a Sheraton. A week prior to that, I had a one night stay at a Sheraton, the rest of the week was at another SPG brand.

As I had completed the 5-nights last Friday, I called in to see how long it takes to get the promo night, and to see how early I could begin booking. (I'm booking an Oct trip and want to get the hotels squared away.)

BUT, when the rep looked up my account, she only showed 4 sheraton nights. The one night sheraton stay from 2 weeks prior never registered! (despite my SPG number being in the system/on folio/etc).

It took 45 minutes with me on the call for her to figure out why it didn't register, and to manually credit the stay. At the end of the call, I politely asked if customer service would consider a goodwill gesture for my time on the phone. (was able to multitask and work, but not at 100% efficiency)

The agent said she didn't see any justification for goodwill because "the stay has been credited," or something to that effect. I'm 99% sure that if I hadn't called to inquire and try to book early, the unregistered stay would have never been credited. I have multiple Sheraton stays coming up, so I'll hit the max of 3 free promo nights; I may have never noticed the missed stay.

In past dealings with other businesses, when I've had to go out of my way to resolve an issue due to a merchant problem, I'm usually offered something for the trouble. Or, I'll politely suggest if they think compensation is due, and they'll happily offer something. (most recent: paid for full-size car, lot only had mid-size. Called in to be credited difference - representative offered addn'l $30 for the trouble )
Old Aug 17, 15, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
She must be a good agent to have resisted the urge to laugh at such a suggestion.

Originally Posted by AA_CPA View Post
I may have never noticed the missed stay.
I don't think you'll find a whole lot of sympathy on FT if you don't care enough to track your stays.
Old Aug 17, 15, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I have some goodwill Starpoints for reading this thread?
Old Aug 17, 15, 9:44 pm

IMO and only IMO:

I'd only consider that if I had to stand at a counter somewhere in the heat or somesuch trying to sort things out. Sitting in the comfort of home or office, bluetooth headset in ear... well, no. Similar to having to wait while trying to get to speak to someone.

There are the options of emailing, leaving a message, or using Plat Chat and telling them to sort it out and get back to you. Oct isn't that near - plenty of time to get sort out the free night...

The example of the car - paid for something and received something less, definitely should have received something so not the same IMO.

I know some people consider their time very valuable; but in this case if it was that valuable, I think there were other options available for resolving this that didn't involve holding on the line...

Anyway that's MO.
Old Aug 17, 15, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Why not ask the agent to complete the task and contact you if more information is needed?
Old Aug 17, 15, 11:33 pm

Do you mind being a jerk to get what you want? Sometimes being nuce doesn't cut it. If you complained that they misprocessed your last stay, tried to cheat you out of a night, they may give you something.
Old Aug 18, 15, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry OP I think you.ve been hanging on other sites for too long. btw why didnt you just say thanks hang up and go online and fill in the form for 'Missing Credit'?
Old Aug 18, 15, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP could have accomplished this in 30 seconds by filling out a webform. Phone calls are for situations where there needs to be a discussion. OP is 100% responsible for wasting his own time. Too bad people like this don't get directed to a 900 number so they can pay for the agent's time !

On a broader note, people kvetch all the time about how various loyalty programs are "devalued". One of the reasons is that there is a finite supply of rooms anybody is willing to dole out as freebies. If points are tossed around for every minor thing, there are still the same # of freebie rooms, just more points chasing those rooms. So more points needed, so devaluation.
Old Aug 18, 15, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Talking

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
100% agree!^
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist

Scenario: I'm signed up for the 5 nights = 1 free wknd night promo. Last week, I had a 4 night stay at a Sheraton. A week prior to that, I had a one night stay at a Sheraton, the rest of the week was at another SPG brand.

As I had completed the 5-nights last Friday, I called in to see how long it takes to get the promo night, and to see how early I could begin booking. (I'm booking an Oct trip and want to get the hotels squared away.)

BUT, when the rep looked up my account, she only showed 4 sheraton nights. The one night sheraton stay from 2 weeks prior never registered! (despite my SPG number being in the system/on folio/etc).

It took 45 minutes with me on the call for her to figure out why it didn't register, and to manually credit the stay. At the end of the call, I politely asked if customer service would consider a goodwill gesture for my time on the phone. (was able to multitask and work, but not at 100% efficiency)

The agent said she didn't see any justification for goodwill because "the stay has been credited," or something to that effect. I'm 99% sure that if I hadn't called to inquire and try to book early, the unregistered stay would have never been credited. I have multiple Sheraton stays coming up, so I'll hit the max of 3 free promo nights; I may have never noticed the missed stay.

In past dealings with other businesses, when I've had to go out of my way to resolve an issue due to a merchant problem, I'm usually offered something for the trouble. Or, I'll politely suggest if they think compensation is due, and they'll happily offer something. (most recent: paid for full-size car, lot only had mid-size. Called in to be credited difference - representative offered addn'l $30 for the trouble )
Reading that took me three minutes. How many star points do I get from your end? You could have checked your account yourself, could have asked Awardwallet to do it and then filed a web form in one minute. Stealing 45 minutes for such exercise is amazing
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

It took 45 minutes with me on the call for her to figure out why it didn't register, and to manually credit the stay...........
What was the reason it didn't register? Your fault? The property's fault? SPG's fault?
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Didn't know I could ask banks for money when I have to wait on hold. Good to know!

AT&T owes me a ton of extra data too for all the time I've spent on hold with them.
Old Aug 18, 15, 7:05 pm

No.

Cheers,
Old Aug 18, 15, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by Flews View Post
No.

Cheers,
Double NO

Double Cheers
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Very funny, thanks for the constructive input

Originally Posted by craz View Post
...why didnt you just say thanks hang up and go online and fill in the form for 'Missing Credit'?
I didn't realize that the stay never showed up! Only reason I did was that the agent only saw 4 eligible nights... the reason for the call was to enquire about early booking with the promo night.

Def would have filled out the missing credit form as you suggested if I had known

Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
What was the reason it didn't register? Your fault? The property's fault? SPG's fault?
She had no idea. She saw the SPG number on the reservation. I have it on the folio. And distinctly recall that they asked for Gold amenity on arrival, since I was thirsty and seriously considered a diet coke

Originally Posted by teeceedee View Post
Didn't know I could ask banks for money when I have to wait on hold.
The hold isn't why I thought goodwill points may be in order. Rather, it was for the fact that the stay never registered, and, had I not called in early to try and book the promo night, it may have never registered.

Monitoring that every point posted (across air, car, credit cards, etc) is just too much to keep track of. At the very minimum, I would expect the reservation system to credit my stay when I'm 100% sure SPG number was provided and was on the folio.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: