FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Costco Aeroplan promotion by invitation only
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:09 pm
sxc234

Originally Posted by asa777
My wife and I are both Aeroplan members and only my wife received this offer (as she is the primary Costco member), although her offer was different than the OP (500 Aeroplan miles for spending $75). When we were last in Costco, I asked about this offer at the information desk, but they gave a funny answer. So I emailed Aeroplan. They replied say contact Costco. The Costco call centre was much more informative.

Apparently Costco gave Aeroplan a download of all their customers, then Aeroplan did a matching scan on their database, and then chose to offer specific people a target spend for bonus Aeroplan miles. On August 18th (the end of the promotion), Costco will provide another download with purchase information from July 22nd to August 18th, and Aeroplan will match the people with the offer to their purchase history of specific Kirkland products and then automatically credit customers with their bonus Aeroplan miles. So, as I understand it, there is nothing to be done by anyone who received this offer to get the bonus Aeroplan miles, other than to purchase the Kirkland Signature products. Note that the offer doesn't include fresh food products, although it seems to include Kirkland deli meats and Kirkland frozen food.

Perhaps Aeroplan is testing a new potential marketing promotion with the different levels. I suspect this offer won't prove anything. We only bought items we wanted anyways. But this promotion doesn't cost Costco anything.
Thanks for the additional info, so seems like all purchases made in period count and not just in 1 transaction. Agreed not a very compelling offer to change purchasing behaviours.