FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline elite status is hardest to attain?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:45 pm
groundops

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Which airline elite status is hardest to attain?

http://www.umbiumbiclub.com/

After a quick trip to Luanda, I was just looking at status on DT's Umbi Umbi Club and noticed that to attain Gold (the top tier) one must spend US$60,000 in 18 months - DT's program is based solely on spend, a model many other airlines are moving towards.

I am not sure about all programs but US$60,000 seems a heck of a lot of spend to attain top tier status on any airline, particuarly when you look at the benefits DT offers its elite.

I don't think EK's IO can be compared as it is not an official published tier level so I have just compared DT's Gold with EK Platinum, although I think DT's Gold is more akin to EK Gold. I achieve Gold on EK spending less than 1/6th of DT's spend requirement and could achieve EK Platinum for less than half of DT's requirement.

Of the programs I am familiar with and others that I have looked at, DT's seems by far the most difficult (ie, expensive and requiring the most amount of miles flown as a result) to obtain top tier status.

Are there any other programs out there that are harder to obtain top tier status on?